Talking-Paths While Prospecting For New Business

premiumhunter

Hi Insurance Pros....

So I would love to hear from you guys on the following topic:

Talking-Paths and segueing a conversation to turn a total stranger into an interested prospect.

Since every person out there is a potential customer, EVERYONE I meet gets my business card....period. The law of averages says I will get leads this way.

After I meet someone and explain what I do for a living, I always work into the conversation a simple, "...Are you happy with your current insurance provider..?" Depending on the answer I get, my responses differ.

I'm looking to come up with a few simple talking-paths about insurance to use in everyday situations when I meet people.

I believe the right verbiage will make a huge difference in the number of leads I generate this way.

I'd love to hear some of the verbiage you guys use when handing out your business cards to people to garner their interest in allowing you to quote their insurance products.

I primarily sell P&C as well as life.

Thanks...!!

Instead of first asking "...Are you happy with your current insurance provider..?"
ask them "Who do you have your __________ insurance with?" Then, proceed with the conversation. They will tell you if they are not happy. In other words, try to avoid YES/NO questions like "...Are you happy with your current insurance provider..?" and ask open ended questions that prompt them to talk about it.

Instead of first asking "...Are you happy with your current insurance provider..?"
ask them "Who do you have your __________ insurance with?" Then, proceed with the conversation. They will tell you if they are not happy. In other words, try to avoid YES/NO questions like "...Are you happy with your current insurance provider..?" and ask open ended questions that prompt them to talk about it.

Hi PCB...!!

Of course sales 101....ha haha. Open ended questions are the way to go.

I'll definitely take your advice and ask about their carrier and than let them tell me through conversation (and open ended probing questions) if they are happy or not.

Also, during the conversation when they tell me what carrier they are with, I always follow up with some thing like, "....oh I know them well. We are very competitive with them." From there I segue in to offering them a competitive no obligation quote. It works....not all the time but often enough.

I'm sure there are other (maybe even better ways) to skin this cat.

I'd love to hear how you guys position yourself in front of potential prospects.

"You wouldn't like to buy some insurance, would ya?"

They'll either say No or What Kind? Lol. If they say what kind, it means they want to play the game

"You wouldn't like to buy some insurance, would ya?"

They'll either say No or What Kind? Lol. If they say what kind, it means they want to play the game

Ha haha....brilliant...!!

I think in most cases you would probably get a smile and a "no thanks" or an "I'm all good".....but for the person who does entertain that question....there is a definite sales opportunity there. ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Ha haha....brilliant...!! I think in most cases you would probably get a smile and a "no thanks" or an "I'm all good".....but for the person who does entertain that question....there is a definite sales opportunity there. ;) Thanks for the reply.

I can't take full credit for it, I picked it up from another agent, can't remember who.

Ha haha....brilliant...!!

I think in most cases you would probably get a smile and a "no thanks" or an "I'm all good".....but for the person who does entertain that question....there is a definite sales opportunity there. ;)

Thanks for the reply.

That's the point. It is quick and easy.

Premiumhunter,

First, don't compete on price. Compete on service and value. If you live by price, you'll die by price.

Second, you need to have a script that matches your current skill level. I'm sure that you instinctively know this, but you'll need to "make up in numbers for what you lack in skills" in the beginning. But even as a beginner, I think we can do a LITTLE bit better than "are you happy with your current provider".

Feed them the CRITERIA for why they should (or should not) be happy with their provider... and match that criteria with your services. You can do this by asking two questions right in a row.

For example:
"Are you happy with your current insurance agent? Have they helped you to analyze your entire situation to be sure that you have the coverage you SHOULD have, not just the most affordable? Are they proactive in helping you to solve financial problems before they become a crisis? Do they do a full insurance portfolio review with you every year to be sure that your coverage continues to be inline with your needs?"

You can add a few more questions as you develop your skills.

"Tell you what... I won't interfere with your current relationship unless you want me to, but I think it would probably be a good idea that we get together for just 15 minutes and I give you a preview of how we do business, and you can judge it for yourself."

I put that "won't interfere" line to help the prospect feel safe in talking to you. I put this "analysis" in there, assuming that you'll be using a tool like the Priority Planning Review I talked about in the other thread.

Remember, there is always a certain kind of pain and discomfort in considering making a change. Most people won't make the change unless and until they can see how they will be better off. Show them this... and you'll have more people WANT to work with you.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you can salt the horse's oats and get them to WANT to drink. Become an "oat salter" and you'll be able to attract more business. Just be ready to back up the commitments to ongoing service that you promise... or they'll eventually pick someone else.

Back