Teenage Son Excluded

arrosen

Hi

In December, my 19 year old son was in an accident. He was deemed at fault, bot cars totaled, minor injuries. Our auto insurance carrier has indicated that he must be excluded from our current policy. Also note that my son is a college student (> 100 miles away), and only drives when he is at home over winter, spring and summer break (about 3 months in total. I also have an umbrella liability policy from this carrier.

Our options with this carrier are:
1. Exclude my son. Our policy stays in tact for the rest of the family, rates stay the same

2. Include my son, whole family gets moved to a higher rate schedule ( $2,200 per year additional) for which this carrier offers no umbrella coverage

3. Move everyone to a new carrier.

So, I have a few questions

1. Is it likely that another top name carrier will be able to provide us all insurance on a lower rate schedule?

2. How can I get my son insurance for the 3-ish months he is home. Note that when he is at home, he shares a car with my younger son, so I do not need additional insurance for the vehicle, just for him.

3. Will my umbrella policy still cover him. The carrier has not issued an exclusion on the umbrella, just on the auto insurance (I called to ask them this question, and they didn't really know)

thanks in advance for any help!

Allen

No carrier is going to like two totaled vehicles with a 19 year old driver. Just don't let the kid share the car and be damn sure it doesn't happen.

most umbrellas are follow form meaning if the underlying coverge excludes the kid the umbrella will also

Definitely shop around a little. Insurance companies are all very different and I know of one in particular who would still insure your whole family including umbrella of your son as no other incidents or violations. Now, if this is not his first "oops" then yeah, things are about to get expensive unless you exclude him.

Start shopping. Express your concern with new carriers and see what they can do. You might even end up saving some dough. Carriers vary in risks they're willing to take. I'm sure you'll be able to have everyone insured. Allstate would most likely move him to a non-standard Line and have your rates adjusted accordingly. Umbrella policies usually follow the form of the underlying

You will definitely be moved to Non Standard company and your rates will go up. If he will be driving, it is absolutely best to make sure he is on the policy.

Back