Telemarketing for Appointments- is It Legal in FL?

Woods Rider

Expert
Hi all,

I'm a licensed Florida 2-20 agent and want to hire a telemarketer to set appointments for me selling GL and other business coverages.

I know the FL insurance statutes are pretty hardcore about anyone other than a licensed agent discussing insurance in this state.

Can anyone share with me their approach or pitch that they use to get appointments that will not be in violation of the statutes?

I was thinking along the lines of "Hi Mr Business owner. We've been talking to other businesses in your area and we are finding........... I would like to set an appointment with our agent....etc.

Thanks in advance!

You are describing two different scenarios. Which is it? Have a TM set appts for you or are they discussing insurance?

There's no violation if the TM is just setting the appt for you.

Make sure the call lists have been purged of numbers on the 'Do Not Call' list for sure. Not sure about the other encumbrances. You may not want to use this technique if it is Medicare and other forms of health insurance.

Make sure the call lists have been purged of numbers on the 'Do Not Call' list for sure. Not sure about the other encumbrances. You may not want to use this technique if it is Medicare and other forms of health insurance.

It's my understanding that even if they are on the DO NOT CALL list, once they make an inquiry about your service it's free game. However they have to make the inquiry about insurance first (usually done online).

As long as the telemarketer makes it clear they can not quote the client because they are not an agent you should be fine.

That's very true, if they call you then the DNC does not apply. Although I understand you do have to get permission once you talk to them first time from their call to call them back again in case they are on a DNC or don't want you calling them back. Anyhow that is how I was trained.

Plus the original poster did say 'telemarketing for appointments' so the prospect making an inquiry first seems to make telemarketing them unnecessary, no?

-rko153

Last edited:
First off, I am no legal expert but I try to obey the law when it comes to my livelihood.

With that said, if you are calling biz to biz you are fine, as the DNC does not apply.<---pretty sure on this, but once again, I am no legal expert.

In regards to your hired telemarketer: If they are not a licensed agent, they cannot talk whatsoever about a policy, coverage, etc...they better be just what u said....a appointment setter. If someone says to them "well, what happens if this happens".....u better make sure your non licensed appointment setter says "I'll have _____ go over that with you", or something to that nature.

Just my two cents, as I am a captive agent and I have to make sure I abide by the rules. Best of luck!!!

Back