Telemarketing

Slick

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Missouri
Does anyone have any experience with a company called Telemarketing 21?
Does anyone have a telemarketing company they would like to recommend?

In general telemarketers get paid just to set the appointment - anything else is up to the sales rep.

When I worked for Century 21 Home Improvements they made no bones about the fact that the marketer's only job was to get our foot in the door. Most of the time they said we'd give some literature and a free estimate which would take "5 to 10 minutes."

I ran many appointments where the husband was watching TV and the wife was busy with the kids. I'd come in and hear; "kitchen's over there, leave the quote on the counter." Other times husband and wife were all dressed up; "It's 5:30 now and you need to be out by 6 since we're meeting friends for dinner."

However.....I still got my deals and still make $60K a year. The point is you don't have to do anything - just show up and take the good with the bad. If you ran 4 appointments a day and closed half would you make decent money? I was lucky to close 20% of my home improvement sales which was actually a good figure.

If I had someone setting appointments for health and I ran 3 a day and closed 1 I'd make a fantastic living.

In general telemarketers get paid just to set the appointment - anything else is up to the sales rep.

When I worked for Century 21 Home Improvements they made no bones about the fact that the marketer's only job was to get our foot in the door. Most of the time they said we'd give some literature and a free estimate which would take "5 to 10 minutes."

I ran many appointments where the husband was watching TV and the wife was busy with the kids. I'd come in and hear; "kitchen's over there, leave the quote on the counter." Other times husband and wife were all dressed up; "It's 5:30 now and you need to be out by 6 since we're meeting friends for dinner."

However.....I still got my deals and still make $60K a year. The point is you don't have to do anything - just show up and take the good with the bad. If you ran 4 appointments a day and closed half would you make decent money? I was lucky to close 20% of my home improvement sales which was actually a good figure.

If I had someone setting appointments for health and I ran 3 a day and closed 1 I'd make a fantastic living.

You're absolutely correct. I have to run appointments to make a living.
I'm going to work on a script for an inexperienced telemarketer that needs work and is willing to learn.

Last edited:
John makes a great point.

It is a numbers game. STP (See The People).

Punching the numbers...

Looking at the price part, 20 appointments a week min. order @ $28 per lead. That is $560 for the week. If you are making $300 per MA, then you would have to sell 2 to get your money back (I know a little less, but I like round numbers). If you have a 25% closing ratio that would be 5 deals, or $1500, grossing $940.

I used MA's because you can figure $300 an app as an average. With supps, it all depends on premium, advances, comm %, etc.

According to them you will make 75-95% presentations and 60% sales.

All leads suck - all of them. You can print ads, telemarket, buy shared leads, do B to B or whatever you want. Most leads are horrible.

But that's like being a Sears manager and saying "Look at all the deadbeats in this store not buying anything. We need to find a way to keep everyone out of the store who isn't gonna buy - then we'd make a fortune."

Insurance agents seem to be racking their brains looking for some system where you pick up the phone and the client says "I'm glad you called. This is what I want and here's my information for the application."

Our job is to contact very high numbers of people and it all comes out in the wash. There is no such animal as a "quality" lead - just make sure it's exclusive.

I originally asked about Telemarketing 21 because it sounded too good to be true (hence the Ali joke).
The appointments I set for myself are worth a bunch. I close about 80% of my own sets, and I sit virtually 100%.
My biggest problem is having a home office and disciplining myself to quit playing with the kids to spend a few hours calling prospects.

I'd give 'em a shot. 20 appointments? I'm sure you'd make a great deal of money. The telemarketers would almost have to flat out lie to not have a decent return on 20 appointments.

The problem in the senior market, is that you are up against the "big guns" when AEP and OEP hit. I know that Humana and Coventry have their own telemarketers for their own agents that you would be competing against. Plus they have big marketing budgets that include radio, television, and direct mail campaigns.

You still may be able to get some leads during the off season (age ins, SNP, people who moved), but in AEP / OEP, it will be a lot tougher.

Back