Tell us your 5 most prooven marketing strategies

Colorado Newbie

Super Genius
Kenai, AK
In another thread Mr Bill asked me to post 5 marketing strategies that work and 5 that do not. Since I shared mine I would love to hear what everyone else does. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Marketing Strategies: (not in order of importance)
  1. Hire a someone to call all of your current clients and old clients no longer in your book. Have them query why they went with you and why they left you. This kind of info could really help you direct your energies in the right direction.
  2. Have a band aid box made with your contact info on it (including band aids) and give them to every client. It's funny and cute and something that will help them remember you long after that first meeting.
  3. Tell your clients that you refuse to sell a policy you would not sell your own family. BTW, you really have to believe this for it to work.
  4. Standing in line? Pumping gas? Driving down the road and see a truck or car with a business sign and phone number on it? All of these are great way to get new clients. (I keep a recorder in my car for times when I see a car sign)
  5. Get a booth at your local Trade shows. I love doing trade shows. Spring time is a great time for Home and Garden Shows. Lots and lots of families. I have even picked up a few groups this way. Also, everyone that exhibts at a home and garden show is more than likely self employed. Lots and lots of landscapers and the like.
5 companies/marketing programs to stay away from!
  1. Health Markets
  2. Cornerstone America
  3. U.G.A.
  4. Mega Life and Health
  5. Midwest Life and Health

1) Making calls
2) Staying in good contact with current clients to generate referrals
3) Making sure my block of business is happy for renewals

It's all about renewals. Replacing clients is expensive and most agents do not stay in contact.

Most clients will lose your contact info - possibly remember your first name. Months or even over a year later when they hit any snag they'll default to calling the carrier - which is a huge mistake.

If they don't think of you as "their agent" they're likely to hop right back on the net at renewal time to see if they can beat what they got.

If they suck up the rate increase and are bitter about it yet have had no contact from you then forget referrals.

I'm trying to figure out where everyone's renewals are. $500,000 a year at 5% is $25,000 a year in renewals X 4 years in the biz = $100,000 after year 5. Even if 25% of you biz is gone it's $75,000.

So my goal is renewals - which I'm quite impressed with at this point and is a problem for me with periodical laziness.

Contact with clients:

1) The day after app is submitted - let them know everything is ok.
2) The day it's approved - let them know it's issued
3) When you receive the policy - let you know you got it and are mailing it
4) A few days later - make sure they got the policy
5) Enter their email into my monthly E-newsletter.

If you're not sending thank you letters to everyone - hand written - your referrals will be very few and far between.

5) 3 months later I follow up - just to see how things are going.
6) Call when I receive their renewal letter

I cannot see losing a client - ever. If I lose a client it's:

1) They died
2) They no longer need an individual plan

Beyond that you should have a client for 30 years.

If you're not following this advice get real used to generating new business.

I love renewals. That's why I wrote so much P&C from 1980-2001 (about 5500 policies). Lose 3% of your book of business in a year? No problem. Rates went up 7%!

I miss P&C, but I don't miss all of the running around. For those of you fairly new in the business...work your a** off for 20 years and you'll be set.

1. Handing out business cards & flyers in the ER and at funerals.

2. Going to bankruptcy court, asking for referrals from those who could not pay their medical bills. They always know someone who doesn't want to end up like them.

3. Reminding them that, God forbid, something tragic might happen if they fail to buy from me.

4. Maintaining stong connections with the Goomba community.

5. Maintaining a positive outlook.

1. Ask someone, "Who is handling your insurance?"

2. Ask someone, "Who is handling your insurance?"

3. Ask someone, "Who is handling your insurance?"

4. Ask someone, "Who is handling your insurance?"

5. Hand out copies of Zamfir Cd's (Nice John)

Back