Temp Agency Offering Free L&H Pre-licensing Training - Legit?

MellowTone

Hello,
Newbie in PA here. I registered with a temp agency and they pointed me to a call center job where, they say, I will be enrolling people in Medicare through inbound only calls. The assignment begins in August, with training beginning in mid-June.
They say the company (they won't tell me which one yet) is hiring 1000 temps and is providing free (!) pre-licensing training, the 24 hours classroom training plus paying all the fees to get recruits licensed in L&H. The classes are Mon-Fri with the exam on the following Monday, and they claim it is set up to make it almost impossible to fail. All I have to do is score well on my ProveIt (no prob) and they will sign me up for the training.
Well, color me skeptical. My recruiter has said that anyone who passes could just take their license elsewhere to get a job. I have to wonder why they would offer this training for free (apparently a $300 value) when one could pass and walk away with a license.
It will be a five month assignment and they say they need people badly. While I was in their office, the other recruiter was on the phone the whole time calling people to get them into this assignment, and my recruiter asked me to refer more people. They also have a big ad up.
I hope I'm wrong, but this all seems a bit far-fetched to me. What are the chances a newbie could pass with one week of training? Why would the company put out this kind of money to get 1000 people licensed?
Personally, I'm a good test-taker and hold certs in MS Office (Master) and have done well on GREs, and I've ordered the Exam Cram and Kaplan study guides to get a head start. Also I have a few months call center experience, but I'm not so young anymore and this is a career change move.
So should I trust that this is legit and will pan out if I pass the exams, possibly finding myself in a field that I like and will do well in?
Should I take what the agency says at face value and trust that they will follow through on their promises, or could it become apparent that this is some kind of racket on their part?
If anyone has had similar experiences I would be grateful if they could advise me on whether it's worth jumping into the deep end and going for it, or am I just wasting my time with this agency?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why ask way? Just make sure they pay all the fees and then in 5 months after the assignment is over walk. After 5 months hook up with one of the people in the room who does phone sales. Free license and 5 months of free training. Just make sure after the 5 months it's a true walk away and does your commitment to the company end.

You say enrolling people in Medicare. Are you talking Medicare Advantage?

Last edited:
This will get you some good experience and introduce you into our industry, which you can turn into a career. I doubt you will get a contract release after leaving, but that shouldn't matter too much. They are probably pushing the big name national carriers. When you are ready to make the move, there will be plenty of other competitive companies you can get appointed with.

Based on everything you say, this is a Medicare Advantage Carrier. You'll have to have a passing grade for your Insurance License, but you'll also have to be AHIP certified. That takes a score of 90% to pass. They're probably trying to get so many in because not everyone will be able to pass.

You've got nothing to lose but some of your time. If you decide you like the business, you'll already have your license. Good luck.

Just make sure after the 5 months it's a true walk away and does your commitment to the company end.

You say enrolling people in Medicare. Are you talking Medicare Advantage?

I hadn't considered that. From where I'm at, I would be concerned that the company's commitment to me would end.
I am not familiar with Medicare Advantage. My recruiter didn't mention that, so honestly I don't know. I would like to know more about MA, and the Kaplan guide has a few pages on it; the Exam Cram doesn't have it in the contents or index.

I doubt you will get a contract release after leaving, but that shouldn't matter too much.

What is a contract release?

Based on everything you say, this is a Medicare Advantage Carrier. You'll have to have a passing grade for your Insurance License, but you'll also have to be AHIP certified. That takes a score of 90% to pass.

There is nothing listed in these study guides about AHIP. Could you point me to a good source for info on this? Perhaps this will become clear once the classes begin.

Thank you all very much for these thoughtful answers. One thing I've noticed in perusing the forums here is that the members write well. That is encouraging because I hold a B.A. in English (Temple U) and I enjoy explaining things to people and practicing empathy. So that English degree might come in useful after all. :)
I've cracked the Kaplan manual and the material is interesting and seems broken down into manageable sections. I feel more confident about the assignment now and I'm buckling down to study. It is encouraging to have fresh start on something that may work out well, having burned bridges and what not.
If anyone could clue me in to what a greenie like me might be doing, I'd like very much to know.
Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

I hadn't considered that. From where I'm at, I would be concerned that the company's commitment to me would end.
I am not familiar with Medicare Advantage. My recruiter didn't mention that, so honestly I don't know. I would like to know more about MA, and the Kaplan guide has a few pages on it; the Exam Cram doesn't have it in the contents or index.

What is a contract release?

There is nothing listed in these study guides about AHIP. Could you point me to a good source for info on this? Perhaps this will become clear once the classes begin.

Thank you all very much for these thoughtful answers. One thing I've noticed in perusing the forums here is that the members write well. That is encouraging because I hold a B.A. in English (Temple U) and I enjoy explaining things to people and practicing empathy. So that English degree might come in useful after all. :)
I've cracked the Kaplan manual and the material is interesting and seems broken down into manageable sections. I feel more confident about the assignment now and I'm buckling down to study. It is encouraging to have fresh start on something that may work out well, having burned bridges and what not.
If anyone could clue me in to what a greenie like me might be doing, I'd like very much to know.
Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

A contract release is a true walk away. For example, if you are contracted to sell Humana, after you leave you will not be able to sell Humana through another upline for 6 months. In addition, I doubt you keep any renewals. This is where the company will profit nicely and you lose big time. Forgoing renewals is typically the cost of initiation into this business.

You really don't have much to lose. You will get licensed, make a little money, and get a trial run at a new career. The success rate in this business is 10%. The environment you will be in, I would guess 3 of 100 will actually convert into a career. There is no reason you can't be in that 3%. You already have a huge advantage by joining our community.

As for AHIP, just do all the pre-work, certifications, and tests the company throws at you.

Overall, you can expect an emotional roller coaster. Don't let the highs get too high and the lows be too low. When things hit rock bottom, hold strong to your commitment and vision of this being a career.

At this point just get the license. Don't worry about other things because you could get confused and overwhelmed. When you do take the test READ EVERY QUESTION WORD FOR WORD. Once you see the word EXCEPT slow down read the question one more time unless you positive of the answer.

Good advice well taken, as I have a tendency to be a worrier and get myself overwhelmed by thinking too much. Letting my head get ahead of my hands as it were.
The positive I'm taking away from this is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of concern that the test will give me trouble, as long as I study diligently.
So for now, I will put aside all the what ifs and just stick to studying the material. That in itself is giving me a sense of security--actually knowing something, and learning.
The way I see it, if I get the license and stick out the assignment, I stand a good chance of remaining gainfully employed.
I received an email from someone from TesTeachers offering "supplemental online study materials, free of charge" so I guess I should check that out too.
Thanks again. Your answers and advice inspire confidence.

I took the course last week. Three days, 24 hours. Basically the instructor read from the spiral bound book we were given, with a few personal anecdotes. Honestly, I think the time would have been better spent at home with the book.
The study software was very good, with study and review questions arranged by chapter, unlimited simulated exams and two 'Guarantee' pass exams if you score an 80 or above.
So, pretty good for free training I must say. I passed the exam, but squeaked by. But I have a job now.

I took the course last week. Three days, 24 hours. Basically the instructor read from the spiral bound book we were given, with a few personal anecdotes. Honestly, I think the time would have been better spent at home with the book.
The study software was very good, with study and review questions arranged by chapter, unlimited simulated exams and two 'Guarantee' pass exams if you score an 80 or above.
So, pretty good for free training I must say. I passed the exam, but squeaked by. But I have a job now.
How has this worked out for you?

Latest posts

Back