Temp Helper During AEP?

mcd

Expert
Between appointments, outgoing/incoming calls, paperwork, etc I have been running nonstop since 10/1. The fact the ACA enrollment overlaps is not helping at all. I know the AEP is nearing the end but I wanted to see if anybody hires a helper for Oct-Dec during the mad rush (or full time). I'm not sure how much they would be able to do considering all of the compliance rules but any help would be a lifesaver for next year.

If you do have help during AEP or full-time, what sort of things do you have them do?

(I do all Medicare plans and ACA if that helps any.)

The wife and I are the "agents".

We have a staff of 2.5 this year, but with the elimination of ACA commissions we'll cut that to 2 full time during the rest of the year. What do they do? What ever they know how to do. They longer they are with you the more they can do. They develop into very useful assets the longer you are together. We have one that has the trust of the people and knowledge and does all of our current client pdp reviews, that is a huge time saver. She is also a trouble shooter, claims fixer, etc. Great person to work with. Our #2 is new, only been here since July so she is still riding with her training wheels. She gets the phones, sets apts, runs drug list, does what ever any of the rest of us need to make it more efficient.

Not Sure how much help a "Temp" for AEP would be. What a nightmare it is calling some of these carriers during AEP when you get a temp on the phone especially one who is arrogant think they know what they are talking about when you know they are dead wrong

Now Full time Assistant I think is a must as you grow

I would not be where I am if it were not for my wife and partner, She does not sell, But is very vital to the operation as she does so much else

its amazing how much of this buis is not sales

----------

Today is a perfect example there are issues with 3 Ins carriers need to be called, If I had to do that it would be very time consuming and incoming Internet leads might be talking to other agents

But Instead Wife deals with and I get to call leads & wrote 2 deals this morning

We have 4 licensed agents and a FT front office person. This time of the year, it's all hands on deck. No vacation time. If we are busy, everyone just works more. Hiring a temp for a few months doesn't appeal to me.

I'm afraid hiring a person just for AEP/OEP would be a nightmare. First there's the time it takes to train them. Then they'd have many questions throughout enrollment season. It would just be too much hassle in my opinion.

My wife helps run PDP comparisons every year. In reality, she runs most of the PDP comparisons. I email them to the client and work on MAPD comparisons. This is all typically done between October 1st and October 15th. Then it's answering the phone, responding to emails updating comparisons because they forgot about a medication and sending out applications.

In my opinion, if you are going to bring someone on, bring them on permanently so they can learn and become an asset.

Use licensed Sub-Agents and keep them year round doing many tasks . . . . they can do everything except bind business . . .

I'm afraid hiring a person just for AEP/OEP would be a nightmare. First there's the time it takes to train them. Then they'd have many questions throughout enrollment season. It would just be too much hassle in my opinion.

My wife helps run PDP comparisons every year. In reality, she runs most of the PDP comparisons. I email them to the client and work on MAPD comparisons. This is all typically done between October 1st and October 15th. Then it's answering the phone, responding to emails updating comparisons because they forgot about a medication and sending out applications.

In my opinion, if you are going to bring someone on, bring them on permanently so they can learn and become an asset.

Thats my business model....but its my mom.

Its become increasingly obvious that I am maxed out and need help. I have 2 behind the scenes people (Part D reviews, Cards, Group rates and spreadsheets), but I desperately need someone who can call carriers, process apps, send the generic emails.

If I'm not talking to clients, I'm losing money.

However, bringing someone on now isn't going to work. I need to start looking in Feb, get someone on board, with enough of a bonus incentive to make sure they stay on for 12 months. That's the key. I don't want to train someone for 6 months and then have them walk on Oct 20. And I don't think anyone really understands how bad this is until they are in the middle of it.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure what the best way would be but after reading your responses I think FT would be much better. For now we still are receiving ACA commission but who knows where we'll be in 12 months. Medicare is our main line of business though and that keeps me busy all year long but this time of the year there isn't time to breath.

What sort of payment structure do you have your assistants on?

We were salary but due to the new DOL law concerning OT we will be returning to hourly December 1st when the law in imposed. Another Obama blunder.

We paid salary because October 1- Jan 1st at the latest, they are required to be able to work six days/week at up to 12 hours/day. Then for the rest of the year they worked only four days and got paid the same. The day off moved forward one day each week to give them a four day weekend every month. This is on top of vacation time. Again, thanks to Obama, they will be working five days/week and have no more four day weekends.

Back