Term Life Insurance with Depression History

soxfan132

Hello-- I am 35, and my wife and I are expecting our first child. This would seem like the logical time to buy life insurance, but there are some pretty serious "skeletons in my closet" in terms of my health history. My parents are both healthy, my grandparents all lived into their 90s, and physically I have never had any issues (I am not overweight, I did smoke but quit about 10 years ago and haven't touched any form of tobacco since), and have normal lab results.

That being said, I had some pretty serious mental health issues in my 20s. I had pretty severe social anxiety for much of my life, I had a pretty miserable time adjusting to life in college, and was diagnosed with severe depression and hospitalized during my Junior year. There was no suicide attempt, but in terms of whether there were "thoughts of suicide" I honestly don't even remember what I told the people. Throughout my 20s I was on and off anti-depressents, and when I was 27 in graduate school, after a pretty painful break-up I abused alcohol for about two months. When I finally pulled myself together and stopped drinking I was feeling pretty out of it, so I went to the university health center and they gave me three days worth of klonopin to help with the minor withdrawal symptoms. I was fine for about a year or two after that, but then the depression came back again, I started on anti-depressants again, and was back to being considered a "risky drinker." I started seeing a therapist, however, I finally worked through and tackled some pretty serious issues, finally got the social anxiety under control, and for the last five years I have not been depressed at all (no medication), have had no alcohol issues, have had a vibrant social life, and am happily married. In terms of the issues in my 20s it was honestly pretty bad, but it was not exactly "debilitating"-- it never prevented me from working, I have two Ivy League degrees, and have always been successful professionally (I make about $260k/yr now).

That being said, with a history of severe depression which included a hospitalization in addition to alcohol issues, will it be at all possible for me to get life insurance, or am I pretty much black-balled at this point because I'll be considered a "suicide risk" based on my history? Or will I be eligible for a policy, but will be rated a "Table J" or something and be presented with a prohibitively expensive premium?

I really appreciate any insights-- I'm honestly pretty concerned about this.

Thanks

If all of this was more than 5 years ago, you should probably be able to find coverage but it's definitely going to be rated. I'd expect something like Table 4-8. Fortunately, at your age, even a table-rated policy isn't going to be that expensive. You need a good independent agent working this case for you and if you have the medical records available, pre-screening them with the insurance companies ahead of time would be a good idea, but is definitely a lot more work than just submitting an application to see what happens. Prudential or American General is probably going to be your best bet...

Just wondering....why term? Whole Life has easier underwriting (unless someone has cured death recently).

Also, apply for X amount at 30 year term. If it comes back ugly, you can scale it back, for both premium and years. So you apply at $2 million /30 years(when you may only want $1 million) and it comes back with a horrible rate. You scale it down to $1 million at 20 years to make the rate reasonable.

And what D said...find a Financial Planner who works with multiple carriers (i.e. not NY Life, NML, etc) and has a clue on who has the best rates for mental health history.

Congrats on the baby!

to the OP. You will be evaluated on an individual basis so here is the thing none of us can tell you with certainty where you will fall on the classification spectrum.

What you need to do is find an agent who will offer you "pre-underwriting" help. Pre-underwriting is where you put together the information about your medical history and it is "informally" reviewed by an underwriter.

That underwriter or underwriters will review the information and give you a preliminary classification based on that information. Usually that class is what you would get, unless your labs or other information throw a wrench in things.

None of us are underwriters, we're the people that get your information in front of them though.

The advantage of going about it this way is they do not report this to the MIB so you can choose the best company who responds to your information.

The big thing to remember is answer the questions as "asked" don't over volunteer about your health history. Don't self diagnose your situation. Just answer the questions as asked.

Good luck. I think you will find something that works for you. You will probably not get super preferred but neither did Superman either. His parents died before 65.

You are going to have to shop it pretty hard. You definitely need to find an independent agent. The problem is any drinking at all after any treatment for alcohol is going to be a postpone to decline with a lot of carriers. I am not saying you can not get an offer but is going to take some work. Congrats in the baby and best of luck in your search.

As far as the alcohol issue goes, we're not talking "90 days in an impatient rehab facility," we're talking three days worth of klonopin from the university health center... And as far as the last five years go, we're not talking "periodic bouts of alcoholic rage," we're talking 2-3 glasses of wine per month. If it was precisely 0, would that really make a tremendous difference here? Or does "depression concurrent with alcohol" at any point in one's life automatically result in permanent blackballing?

As far as the alcohol issue goes, we're not talking "90 days in an impatient rehab facility," we're talking three days worth of klonopin from the university health center... And as far as the last five years go, we're not talking "periodic bouts of alcoholic rage," we're talking 2-3 glasses of wine per month. If it was precisely 0, would that really make a tremendous difference here? Or does "depression concurrent with alcohol" at any point in one's life automatically result in permanent blackballing?

Op did you read my post? No it's not automatic, but it is individualized. What agents are trying to do is point out the red flags a underwriter might concern themselves with.

this is math. X number people with Z condition will have a B reaction within C years after Z has been treated. It's statistics from their end and very personal from yours.

Another way to look at it is you see your life as a movie, they see your life as a picture. They have to make a determination about your life from a snapshot.

I mentioned pre-underwriting and I think a few others have seconded it. That is the direction you want to go with your search for coverage. It will give you an accurate idea of where you stand. Which honestly could be from preferred non smoker to table 8 to outright decline. Won't know until you sit down with an agent and do the pre underwriting.

I would do $100k FU whole life with Foresters or MOO - with a large Term Rider and cover your Wife as an Other Insured and child rider on child . . .

You gonna get rated - but even at 8 or 10 - will be affordable since you are young.

Back