Term vs GUL vs IUL vs Whole life

Feb 8, 2019

1. rousemark

rousemark Still Here!

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't know about your state but there is no such thing as an Insurance Counselor License here..

2. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

That is good. Michigan does. See below.
    DIFS - Counselor

3. rousemark

rousemark Still Here!

State:
    Tennessee
    If I read it right a non resident that holds an insurance license in a state that requires an examination automatically qualifies as a Counselor without taking any other action. Of course it doesn't affect me one way or the other as I do not sell over the phone and I sure ain't moving to Michigan.... :no::)

4. jcorr

jcorr Expert

State:
    California
    Maybe I'm being slow (wouldn't be the first time) but I'm still not seeing anywhere where it's illegal to give specific advice about another carriers product. It may be ill advised or it could end up being wrong, but illegal?

jcorr, Feb 16, 2019
  5. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    Illegal... probably not. Is it a good idea? Not necessarily.

Just because one gives "incidental" advice, or even "suggestions" to someone who isn't a client, doesn't mean that you are exempt from the potential consequences.

FINRA award goes to client after advisor’s tax oversight

I uploaded the article in a PDF - just in case this article link doesn't work one day.

DHK, Feb 16, 2019
  6. rousemark

rousemark Still Here!

State:
    Tennessee
    Lot of difference in talking about someone's insureane and giving ta
    A lot of difference between talking with someone about their insurance policy and giving tax advice... Even insurance companies put tax advice disclaimers on their materials..

7. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    True, but it could all fall under an E&O claim.

DHK, Feb 16, 2019
  8. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

nice. you can always even pay more on it even quicker to get the guaranteed covered sooner. IE: if you get a $10k bonus or a large tax refund you can send it into the policy (if it has current year IRS premium room). this way, you don't have to wait 20 yrs

9. pfg1

pfg1 Guru

State:
    Virginia
    spam bot again it appears

pfg1, Mar 13, 2019
  10. MVI

MVI Expert

State:
    Maryland
    If I wanted to secure $1mm of death benefit coverage for my family the rest of my life I would also consider "living benefits".

Living benefits are endorsements and riders that the named insured can use while they are alive under certain circumstances.

For instance, waiver of premium for disability, chronic illness rider, terminal illness rider.

Premature death is not the only risk factor. Some call the risk of disability "living death" because of the financial impact it can have. Remember universal life has alot of riders to consider - so talk to your insurance professional about it.

MVI, Mar 17, 2019