Terminated while on Short Term Disability

mrbean9

I read on NOLO that an employer can terminate you while you’re on STD after the 3 month FMLA runs out if they are doing layoffs across the company. What constitutes a lay-off? is it based on a raw # or percentage of fired staff in a single state or company wide? This seems to be one of two ways an employee can fire you under the ADA. The other being they offer reasonable accommodations and the employee doesn’t return to work.

Sounds like you need to engage a REAL attorney who specializes in labor law. Employment practices are a mix of federal and state regs.

It appears NY is an "at will" state. As such, absent a contract (binding employment agreement) your employer can let you go at any time.

However you should verify this with an attorney.

FWIW, challenging employment termination is a lengthy and expensive process.

Sounds like you need to engage a REAL attorney who specializes in labor law. Employment practices are a mix of federal and state regs.

It appears NY is an "at will" state. As such, absent a contract (binding employment agreement) your employer can let you go at any time.

However you should verify this with an attorney.

FWIW, challenging employment termination is a lengthy and expensive process.

You mean an internet insurance agent can get this fixed in a jiffy? Geez, what's he get a commission for?

Where's Ray?

Is this forum focused on more general insurance topics? If so, I’ll have the mods close the thread. This is obviously a complex one.

Is this forum focused on more general insurance topics? If so, I’ll have the mods close the thread. This is obviously a complex one.

It's more related to the purchase of insurance and the insurance product itself. Not employment law.

66f5880453d5344208b2b34c6ab12d1e.gif

Back