Tesla Looking to Bundle “lifetime Insurance” into Purchase Price

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Tesla’s Elon Musk is so sure of the “autopilot” safety features in his vehicles that the company has begun offering customers in Asia a lifetime insurance and maintenance package at the time of purchase – and plans to expand the program into the U.S.

In an earnings call this week, Tesla President of Global Sales and Service Jonathan McNeill said in Asia the majority of Tesla cars sold already include lifetime insurance and maintenance costs built in to the purchase price.

A Business Insider piece about the news (link below) says the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that crash rates for Tesla vehicles have dropped 40% since Autopilot was first installed.

From the piece:

"It takes into account not only the Autopilot safety features but also the maintenance cost of the car," McNeill said. "It’s our vision in the future we could offer a single price for the car, maintenance, and insurance."

"If we find that the insurance providers are not matching the insurance proportionate to the risk of the car then if we need to we will in-source it," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on the earnings call. "But I think we’ll find that insurance providers do adjust the insurance cost proportionate to the risk of a Tesla."

Electrek reports that Tesla has partnered with AXA General Insurance for its program InsureMyTesla.

Tesla cars could come with insurance, maintenance included in future - Business Insider

I wonder if this is only looking at collision coverage?
I also wonder if automakers are going to start building cars if the car costs to much??? :)

serious question: would you buy insurance from a guy who totaled a $3.5M McLaren F1 super car and forgot to carry insurance on it? :D

Last edited:
serious question: would you buy insurance from a guy who totaled a $3.5M McLaren F1 super car and forgot to carry insurance on it? :D

Yes. He would never, ever, ever do that one again!!!!!

Back