Testeachers.com

broncoremy

Hello all,

Am considering making a career switch and I have been reading this forum for some time. I have learned a great deal and hope to continue to learn from your posts. I was content to continue just reading and learning but I ran into something that warrants a note of caution.

I have signed up for the P&C course from testeachers.com and I was stunned to find out that when I registered and paid for the instruction on their system, the system sent me back an email with my username and password in the email in plaintext. In disbelief I changed my password only to find that when I finished, their system immediately sent another email with my password in plaintext.

This is an irresponsible breach of even the most basic level of network security. This makes it simple to compromise user information on their server. I sent a query to them with a plea to cease this silly and dangerous practice. I will update when I hear back from them.

I have not gotten deep enough into their material to give kudos or complaints, as yet. However, a word of caution is in order to all before you consider using their service.

best wishes all,
BR

Last edited:
Re: Caution on Testeachers.com

There should be a 2 post limit before making disparaging comments.

Hello all, Am considering making a career switch and I have been reading this forum for some time. I have learned a great deal and hope to continue to learn from your posts. I was content to continue just reading and learning but I ran into something that warrants a note of caution. I have signed up for the P&C course from testeachers.com and I was stunned to find out that when I registered and paid for the instruction on their system, the system sent me back an email with my username and password in the email in plaintext. In disbelief I changed my password only to find that when I finished, their system immediately sent another email with my password in plaintext. This is an irresponsible breach of even the most basic level of network security. This makes it simple to compromise user information on their server. I sent a query to them with a plea to cease this silly and dangerous practice. I will update when I hear back from them. I have not gotten deep enough into their material to give kudos or complaints, as yet. However, a word of caution is in order to all before you consider using their service. best wishes all, BR

Thanks for the heads up.

To compromise what? Access to their training? Oh, the horror!

You have a LOT more to worry about... than how someone else runs their business, if you're going to be in THIS business.

I wouldn't be licensed if it wasn't for test teachers. I did my P&C from them, and actually just barley got the materials to study for my life exam. Test Teachers was nothing short of perfect for me. I did have to call in once or twice and they where extremely helpful. As far as your password being sent to you in plain text, is it really that big of a deal?

I used TestTeachers for my P&C. Much of the state test was never touched on by them. I passed, although barely.

When I go for my securities, I'll be trying out a different company.

I had not commented back since I was off in study for my tests. I just finished taking and passing the Texas LAH test after finishing the P&C test a couple of weeks ago.

@BrendanF
I tried to be careful to point out that I was not commenting on the quality of their material, only their practices for network security. Now that I am on the other side of the test, I think their material was quite good and after going through their reading material and practice tests, I passed the P&C without difficulty. I did not use the video material,since I do not learn well that way. I would rather read the lesson, take notes and take the practices quizzes and tests. Other commenters, have praised their video material.

I was a little disappointed that their practice test questions were fairly limited in number, so that once you had gone through the test a couple of times, the questions were easier to answer simply by memory. Having said that I still rate their material well.

@SingingSabre.
I did have a couple of questions on the TX P&C test that left me scratching my head, but most was covered well. Seems funny that they might not cover the AZ material really well, since, after all, they are based in Scottsdale.

br

----------

@Centralsolution:
ok, fair enough. However, everything I said about the situation is factual. Testeachers fully admits to this practice and told me that they see no problem with the practice since I am "the only one that can read the email". Google and the NSA would have a good belly laugh at that.

How did your series 6 training session go with Testeachers?

@DHK:
I both agree and disagree with you. It is their business to run as they see fit and I can use their products or not. So, in that respect I agree with you. However, where I disagree is that by this practice they have possibly put my security at risk. And not just to lose access to their training site. Any minor leak of information can possibly be put together with other minor leaks of information to create a problem. In this case, by sending the username and password information in this email they have made it possible for online criminals to gain access to other accounts of mine if my own network security is sloppy.

In regard to sloppy network security, how many of you reading this post use the same username or password (or both) for other online accounts including government services, financial services or email accounts linked to those financial service websites? Please do not do this, if you currently do.

I cannot post a link, yet, but if any of you want to get an idea of why I think what Testeachers is doing is not a good security practice, see the story of Mat Honan which is at Wired.com, "How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking". Note that the hackers put together seemingly minor, unrelated information that one site or another felt was not worthy of higher security to crack open this gentleman's personal information in a very bad way. Some of that information they gained access to was the usernames and passwords from one site to gain access to other sites, and the dominoes fell.

I have read a good number of your posts, DHK, which have contained very good information and I hope to come across many more, however, I do not think you are on target with this one. However, I will admit that my first post to this forum should have been more circumspect, so I deserved a good slap to the forehead.

Just my $0.02,
br

Back