Texas TRS

usakr

Guru
100+ Post Club
Can a TRS recipient opt out of TRS any time of the year? Or do they have a disenrollment period they need to adhere to?

Can a TRS recipient opt out of TRS any time of the year? Or do they have a disenrollment period they need to adhere to?
Anytime. If the spouse is the only one dropping the retired teacher submits a letter to TRS. If the teacher is dropping there’s a notarized form 700-B that must be submitted.

Really asking...

Since all TRS 065s were put on an Advantage plan 1/1/18, how does that work?

They can disenroll from TRS and their MAPD mid-year? Then it's GI on Med Supp?

OP...heads up, if this is true, look at Blue. They are allowing Plan G at full commish on ex-TRS people.

Really asking...

Since all TRS 065s were put on an Advantage plan 1/1/18, how does that work?

They can disenroll from TRS and their MAPD mid-year? Then it's GI on Med Supp?

OP...heads up, if this is true, look at Blue. They are allowing Plan G at full commish on ex-TRS people.
Leaving the employer plan—TRS in this case—creates a SEP for MA or PDP and GI on the med supp. TRS allows mid-year disenrollment and in TX voluntary departure from an employer plan is GI eligible for a med supp.

Since TRS announced their big benefits change for 2018 I wrote many UW TRS cases to get Plan G, some individual MAPD, and a few GI med supps. Didn’t write the first few GI cases with BCBS but once I found out they fully comp GI they became the carrier to go to.

Because they can leave anytime but can’t return, I encouraged all teachers to give the new TRS plan a try and some did. Moved all of the spouses. Almost $400 a month for a MAPD for the spouse isn’t a good deal even with no coverage gap now that that gap is small and temporary.

Learned something again.

And that was my approach too. Move the spouse, only move the retiree if pushed.

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I was just looking through the TRS website and it says the SEP ended Feb 28. Does that mean they can't disenroll as well?

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I was just looking through the TRS website and it says the SEP ended Feb 28. Does that mean they can't disenroll as well?
The SEP did not end 2/28. TRS gave those who signed a document that permanently disenrolled them from their retiree plan a one time opportunity to change their mind and come back to TRS by 2/28. Now that this date has passed they can still leave but can’t come back unless TRS offers that grace period again in the future.

The SEP did not end 2/28. TRS gave those who signed a document that permanently disenrolled them from their retiree plan a one time opportunity to change their mind and come back to TRS by 2/28. Now that this date has passed they can still leave but can’t come back unless TRS offers that grace period again in the future.
Great! Thanks.

Back