That's Expensive. Medicaid is a Better Deal.

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Just got off the phone with a guy looking for health insurance with maternity. Blue Cross is your only option.

"Yes, that is what I saw online. How much is it?"

About $150/mo for the maternity rider. You can't get pregnant for 12 months. When you do use it, you pay the hospital $3000 and the doc $2500 + all your copays for prenatal.

"Sounds expensive. Guess we will just let Medicaid cover the cost"

Yeah, sounds like a plan.

I am guessing he voted for Obumma.

Im not up on any under 65 health care plans. But are most companies not covering maternity benefits anymore? I know it's an added option but I didn't even see it the other day when I was playing around with quotes.

Is it worth it? Better to pay the doctor cash?

Thanks, is their usually a 1 year waiting period?

I only ask because a buddy asked me about health insurance. I looked up some quotes for him and then he mentioned that he and his wife would look at them later. Then he said they are going to try and have a baby...

I told him I don't think you can just do that, their may be a waiting period of a year or so and I'm not even sure companies even have maternity anymore.

He said, "its just a hospital stay to have the baby, why wouldn't they cover it"

Somarco is correct, there is no understanding with the general population about insurance period. Should be taught in school. Insurance is about future risk, uncertainty vs certainty (babies are not an illness or injury folks). Also, mandates covering babies from day one also are a huge factor, maternity coverage or not. A good safety net I guess, but Chazm tell your buddy about insurance companies dealing with "million dollar babies". Had one like that here, a premmie that was in the hospital for almost a month, in intensive care, covered day one because dad had insurance. Mom is on Medicare, no automatic coverage for babies with them.

I don't even try to deal with these kind of prospects anymore. It's a waste of time.

Latest posts

Back