That's It For Me! I'm Done...

I can just tell you where I grew up in Ohio (Cleveland) when I come back it almost makes me want to cry (If I cared...)

Old neighborhoods that used to be BOOMING with families, great schools, a bright future are now run down high crime, crack infested ghost towns.

Sure this is nothing new - Cleveland has always had its share of shady areas - nothing new there, but the shady areas have expanded so far outward it is a huge mess.

Closed malls, streets and buildings in need of repair, lack of investment, bad airport, downtown that is not safe, you name it.

I rented a car there 2 months ago and took a few wrong turns and almost got shot at the gas station (3 blocks from the airport) asking for directions - he wanted $1 for directions and I told him to go _____ himself then I will give him $1. I don't think we saw eye to eye.

You couldn't pay me $1,000,000 to send my kids to the schools I grew up at (they were good back then). Population is down, tax is high all over the State.

I was more specifically referring to Cleveland not the rest of Ohio, I am more sad then anything - when I was growing up there was HOPE and a FUTURE - it is more sadness than anger with Cleveland or Ohio - it might be a scary place in 30 years if something is not done soon to pump some $$$ into the town.

At the risk of sounding like a Tourism Bureau Rep:

It's true that Ohio lacks the ability to keep certain industries happy and attract growth. Sure, just like most states, we have issues that need to be addressed. But, don't judge the whole state by one single criterion.

We have an insanely low cost of living, friendly people, and good weather most of the year (February and March notwithstanding). Our spring and fall seasons are gorgeous, we have an endless list of colleges and universities that attract students from all over the nation and the world, and we sure do love our football ;). We have six major metro areas (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Akron/Canton, and Toledo) offering professional sports teams, cultural activities, shopping, etc. along with an extensive and well-funded State Parks system with a wide variety of landscapes.

We're also within about 500 miles of half the population of the United States, so Ohio is a great place to call "home" while also having the opportunity to easily travel for work or pleasure.

After college, I moved to Florida and California with my job. Both offered amazing beaches and a different climate both geographically and socially, but I've been hard-pressed to find people as genuine and family-oriented as you'll find here in the Midwest. We sit on our front porches, care about our neighbors, and, in most cases, take a lot of pride in our surroundings. Come visit sometime. And, never judge an entire state by an experience you have in one city.

TXINSURANCE wrote: "Closed malls, streets and buildings in need of repair, lack of investment, bad airport, downtown that is not safe, you name it."

You could be describing any industrial city in the nation. Camden, New Jersey, anyone?

It's absolutely true that Ohio ranks 2nd in unemployment right now, and it's heartbreaking to see what's happening to once vibrant communities. Inner city Dayton needs a turnaround just as badly as your area of Cleveland. It's not just Ohio, though. Get lost on side roads throughout the country, both urban and rural, and you'll hear the same stories. From Jacksonville to Detroit, L.A. to Camden, it seems like the only "thriving" communities are suburbs with a brand new Applebee's on one corner, Panera on the other, and Starbucks in between.

If we all just pick up and leave our crumbling communities, who will be left to save them? As the '08 election nears, do your homework and find candidates who share your values and your vision for a better America. Support someone who will truly lead us. Then, perhaps the neighborhood where I grew up in Dayton and your neighborhood in Cleveland will have "hope" again.

Chumps,

The Dragons and 2nd Street Market were definitely a step in the right direction. But, the elected city officials need to step up and a) fight crime, b) get some serious help for the schools, and c) offer incentives for corporations to stay within the city limits. I'm not saying they need to give away the farm, but they should find something to offer.

When NCR spun off Teradata earlier this year, Teradata needed a new HQ. They looked at Atlanta (where they already have offices), San Diego (where their R&D is centered), Miami Township (across from Lexis Nexis), and downtown (possibly the Mead building). Dayton gave them NO incentives. Miami Township did, and they settled on that area. So, at least they're staying in the Miami Valley -- but sadly, not the city.

When Mark Hurd left NCR, he was asked what Dayton had done during his tenure to keep the company headquarters in Dayton. Answer? Nada. Not a single person from the city had contacted him over the years to talk about ways to keep the company from leaving.

Sad, huh?

When is Rhine McClin's term up?

"When is Rhine McClin's term up?"

I think that sums it up quite nicely. And that's so true about Teradata. I had been following that story for quite a while. My neighbor works for Teradata and of course, my office is next door to Lexis Nexis.

Years ago, we had an office in the 111 Building. It was great being able to walk to the Arcade for lunch. And of course, it was very centrally located for appointments. But I wouldn't dare be there after dark. And of course, Malfunction Junction was always a problem, especially if heading South during rush hour.

Back