The #1 Most Insane Claim Just Hit

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
So a fuel company just delivered/pumped 200 gallons of oil into my client's home. The interesting part is my client doesn't have an oil tank & doesn't use oil what so ever.

So this heating oil company delivery guy went to the wrong address & started pumping heating oil into the outside nozzel whereby there was no tank for it to collect in. 200 gallons of heating oil into my guys basement which subsequently almost all seeped through the basement into the ground. They had the address wrong

EPA involved - Epic situation.

Oddly enough I had a similar claim last year. It happens more often than you think.
a) if it was a natural gas conversion and the contractor forgot to remove the old oil tank nozel he is liable. By law they have to. Ask the HO if they had recently converted to natural gas.
b) i insured the fuel oil dealer in my claim and he delivered to a house that recently converted and never notified him. I believe the HO insurance and contractors insurance who did the conversion paid out for the claim. I dont think my company paid out anything, even tho they were the ones that pumped the oil.

So the guy actually seems somewhat calm & not upset. I think he thinks it's gonna be a payday. Interestingly, he had trouble selling the home so for him maybe this is a way out. I know he just bought the home like a year ago & he didn't do any upgrades to natural gas or anything.

I researched this & noticed it's actually common. I thought this was like 1 out of 1,000,000,000. They're jackhammering the basement floor to test the soil etc.

I had over a thousand gallons delivered to an elementary school. Same thing. No tank. What a disaster. School closed for the rest of the year. I insured the oil dealer.

That is going to be expensive!!! those EPA guys love to stand around for days making $40/hr...

Oddly enough I had a similar claim last year. It happens more often than you think.
a) if it was a natural gas conversion and the contractor forgot to remove the old oil tank nozel he is liable. By law they have to. Ask the HO if they had recently converted to natural gas.
b) i insured the fuel oil dealer in my claim and he delivered to a house that recently converted and never notified him. I believe the HO insurance and contractors insurance who did the conversion paid out for the claim. I dont think my company paid out anything, even tho they were the ones that pumped the oil.

But this company delivered to the wrong address. They are liable all the way.

Any time the EPA gets involved, expenses sky rocket...

I'd be inclined to say the oil company is 100% liable as well. The kind of tank, nozzle, etc. at that home is irrelevant when it was never supposed to receive a delivery from that company.

How did they pump it in via what???

Did he still have a fill fitting on the outside of the house??

I don't understand why he wouldn't weld the cap shut or remove the fill spout altogether.

Latest posts

Back