The 9 Most Useful Life Insurance Riders

Another thing about riders.....Always offer them to each client. Some may not want to take any of them, but its good practice to offer them. I know of another agent a few years ago that didn't offer a certain rider to a client. Client found out and made quite a stink not knowing he could have had it at the onset of the policy.

For a young healthy person in 30s, the chances of dieing in accident are more than otherwise. So, it would be wise to add Accidental Death rider for the cost of a few dollars.

I will never understand otherwise intelligent people's fascination with accidental death riders.

For a young healthy person in 30s, the chances of dieing in accident are more than otherwise. So, it would be wise to add Accidental Death rider for the cost of a few dollars.

Absolutely untrue. While accident might be the #1 cause for people in the early 30's, it is FAR more likely to die from disease.

BTW, young healthy people become unhealthy just before they die from disease.

http://www.chdl.org/Projects/10 Leading Causes of Death by Age Group 2001.pdf

Rick

Hello, as a new agent I have wondered if the riders provide as well as some stand alone policies, for example critical illness. Is the coverage just as good? If not, is it that the rider is cheaper than the actual policy but may not provide as much coverage and the insured should purchase to have something vs nothing?

Thanks

Hello, as a new agent I have wondered if the riders provide as well as some stand alone policies, for example critical illness. Is the coverage just as good? If not, is it that the rider is cheaper than the actual policy but may not provide as much coverage and the insured should purchase to have something vs nothing?

Thanks

IMO, the only two riders she mentioned that generally have a charge and are worth buying are the wavier of premium and guaranteed insurability riders. The conversion rider and accelerated benefit rider are valuable, but are generally built into the policy. I see critical illness, accidental death and child riders of little value.

Last edited:
From the chart it looks like 35 and up is a good market for critical illness.. Heart Disease, Cancer and High Blood Pressure..

I'm not sure which carrier I looked at but their CI rider reduced the face amount of the death benefit if used..So that's something to consider..Of course as we know carrier products change daily..

Back