The Best Pre-licensing Course

I just completed Kaplan for P&C. I chose them because they had the cheapest self-study course. If I had to it over again, I would have upgraded to the premium package with the videos! Kaplan or ExamFX are both good!

Quit being indecisive! Flip a coin if you have to, make the purchase and dive in! :yes:

I used Kaplan Financial. I did really well on all the exams but when it came time to test with Pearson-Vue. I missed it by 7 points. Most of what I missed, I felt Kaplan didn't cover. The State portion of the test seemed to be very limited with Kaplan. I was disappointed but am planning to re-test again.

I've never heard of Troy. That being said everyone seems to hate ExamFX.

I used Kaplan for my s65 maybe 7 years ago. The practice tests were good but the book was way too big.

I have gone through both Kaplan, Exam FX, and A.D. Banker. All of them have pretty solid programs to prep you for the test. Overall use A.D Bankers is the best as they've re-written their program. It was easy to navigate, easy to send in my CE Credits, and support was great.

Kaplan - The course is easy to navigate but unless they've re-written it that had some stuff that just didn't seem that apparent.

Exam FX - I enjoyed as well, semi-easy to navigate, good solid programs.

I just took the LHA state test for FL today after completing the Kaplan Financial Online pre-license course.

I chose this course because it has the highest PASS rate in FL.

You may want to check the pass rates for pre-licensing vendors in NY.

I passed w/88%.

What I liked...
  • The course is pretty thorough for all of the major Life, Health, and Annuity concepts.
  • There are multiple ways to learn the material besides the text-based course itself (video, audio downloads...optional flash cards and cram sheet)
  • You get tested/quizzed constantly as you go through the course (Unit tests, self-selected quizzes), so you really know where you stand at any point in time and can self-correct.
  • You are generally exposed to everything you might see on a test and then some

What I disliked...
  • The course was LONNNGGGGGG...500+pages in the course manual
  • Although divided into digestible chunks, it was very wordy
  • There is almost NO use of memorization devices (tables, visuals, etc.) that might make learning all of the regulations/rules easier
  • Most of the unit tests and quiz questions were unnecessarily complex....lots of use of double-negatives and EXCEPT questions...too much time spent trying to figure exactly what the question was asking rather than absorbing key facts
  • Some of the unit test questions covered material that you have not yet reached in the course...saw this a few times (no big deal, really...it was just annoying to miss those only to see later that you weren't crazy...they really hadn't been covered at that point)
  • It just felt like a grind to complete the course
  • Another comment above about the state material not be thorough enough was correct...I saw saw several state-specific questions that weren't covered on the test. You will need to review your state-specific topics on your own to have a real comfort level. That said, I average 80% on the state pieces as well.

Overall, it did the job. But, I won't say it was a pleasant experience.

If you want thorough and don't mind a LOT of text...then Kaplan works as can be seen by the pass rates in FL.

But, I am sure there is an easier way to learn this material.

Hope this helps.

Michael

I used the A.D. Banker self study course to pass the Florida P&C last week. I bought the platinum course ($231.85) which gives you the state manual as well as online videos and web based training. Support was very responsive as well.

Latest posts

Back