The customer is always right.

Remember now, there is absolutely no reason someone wouldn't do this. All upside, NO downside risk.

They didn't do it.

My most vivid memory of the same concept was with a small group plan with ten employees, except it was an HRA instead of an HSA. Same deal, worst case savings to the business to fully fund 100% of the deductible for the employees and have it all used equal to $12,000. Best case savings equal to around $25,000.

They didn't do it!

Please don't confuse confortable with "easy". Some of the references you're making are the easy way out. I'm talking about that thing that wakes you up at three a.m.. The fretting over the decision made.

If a client is not comfortable with their decision, they will go elsewhere.... nowhere does that imply "easy". It implies the feeling of doing the right thing. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is also the one that allows you to comfortably sleep at night.

Just so we're clear... k?

Please don't confuse confortable with "easy". Some of the references you're making are the easy way out. I'm talking about that thing that wakes you up at three a.m.. The fretting over the decision made.

If a client is not comfortable with their decision, they will go elsewhere.... nowhere does that imply "easy". It implies the feeling of doing the right thing. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is also the one that allows you to comfortably sleep at night.

Just so we're clear... k?

I understand what you're saying, and it's not like there's not validity in what you're saying but I think it comes down to who and how is explaining the HSA concept that has a direct relation to the consumers fear post-sale.

As I mentioned, my retention rate on HSA sales completely blows away that of any other product I sell. When I was with Schmega years ago the only product I felt OK about selling regularly was the 5 mill limit HSA plan they had and those plans STUCK (and the Lumenos and OD PPO HSA, etc I sell now stick) unlike anything I ever sold. In fact, I have not written a case with Mega in well over a year and half now (since quitting) and I still have residuals on the books that total more than $1000/month and they are 75% HSA plans. I wish I kept better track of their names/numbers cause I would move them over to a better HSA with someone else!

In any case, when it comes to explaining the concept of HSA's, I think if the consumer has a good "teacher", one that illustrates the benefits and extrapolates outward, etc then the customer is a lot less likely to wake at 3:00am and be restless about their decision. I also call all of my "first time" HSA customers 2 weeks post-sale to see if they have any additional questions, and many times they do, and it's at that time I reiterate the benefits of having chosen an HSA/HDHP. I am NOT losing these customers.

One last example:

My most recent Anthem statement shows that I have sold (Issued cases) 135 cases with them since May 2007 and of those cases 65%, give or take, are a blend of Tonik, Blue Care and C/P plans. Of those 86 or so cases issued I have lost 14 due to various reasons, found a job, etc etc. Of the remaining 50ish Lumenos I have on the books, I have lost 2. TWO! I sell almost exclusively HSA products with Assurant and I know my retention there has been stellar as well.

I am not trying to say "I am better at selling HSA's than you so nah nah nah nah nah" but I do think if you learn about these plans, believe in the concept of what you're selling (if you don't the client won't) then you want have restless customers that go elsewhere.

Back