The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

At least 5 times this year I have handed out subsidies greater than the household's income. This is completely unsustainable.

I don't understand why Health Insurers are lobbying so hard against getting rid of the Individual Mandate to have health insurance. They (and most Americans) don't feel that the penalty is steep enough to force people into buying health insurance.

If it's "toothless" to begin with, what harm can come from getting rid of it? Doing so will get rid of a couple IRS forms, and remove line 61 from IRS Form 1040.

I believe Allen, the insurer's lobbied like hell to get that provision in obamacare.

Should have read farther I see mom answered.

I believe Allen, the insurer's lobbied like hell to get that provision in obamacare.

Should have read farther I see mom answered.

Yes..they did want that provision badly, but like each of us has discussed, the penalty wasn't large enough to compel a person to buy health insurance if he/she didn't want to.

Something I learned today. Due to Republicans winning a lawsuit two years ago..

""Even without Congress repealing the Affordable Care Act, the Trump administration could undermine the law by unilaterally ending billions of dollars the government pays insurers to subsidize the health coverage of nearly 6*million Americans.

Given that insurers would still be required to provide consumers that financial help, such a move could create upheaval in the ACA’s marketplaces — prompting health plans to raise their prices or drop out, according to health-policy experts in both major political parties.

Intervention by the new president to stop the payments “would precipitate a pretty serious crisis almost immediately” unless Congress stepped in, said James Capretta, a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.

The subsidies could be eliminated as soon as President-elect Donald Trump takes office, a consequence of an unusual lawsuit that House Republicans brought against the Obama administration two years ago.""

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d56ea1c2bb7_story.html?utm_term=.c6978016c7f6

Both the Senate and the House could go blue in 2 years if the GOP doesn't come up with a serious replacement plan in a serious timeframe. If they delay too long, the market collapses anyway. If they just pull it apart limb by limb, the market crashes anyway. Either way, the GOP will be blamed for the crash. Pointing out that it was teetering on the brink of a collapse will fall on deaf ears.

The GOP should either:
1 - Replace it effective 1/1/2018 with a seriously good plan, and don't repeal the old law until then.
2 - Or don't repeal it at all and let it collapse by itself, then offer a rescue plan for the people who are affected.

Otherwise, they own this problem.

A small percentage of the population is directly impacted by Obamacare. Roughly 80% of those with health insurance get their coverage from the govt (Medicare, Medicaid, VA) or employer group plans. Even though group plans must adhere to the mandates, employees rarely make the Obamacare connection between higher premiums, deductibles and OOP. They blame the employer or the carrier or both, but not Obamacare.

Trump didn't get elected solely on Obamacare. Rarely is an election, at least on a national basis, based on a single issue.

Bubba won in 1992 based on "It's the economy, stupid". It was broad enough to appeal to voters who felt like they had been forgotten.

Since 2010 the Democrat party has lost seats at the national level as well as a number of states where the legislature and Gov have turned from blue to red. Obummer's reign was not good for his party.

Some of the GOP that promised to change things and eliminate Obamacare were kicked out for failure to do what they promised but the majority survived and added to their numbers.

I have no idea what Trump and company will do to fix Obamacare but it really doesn't matter as much as the impact they may have on the economy. The folks that carried Trump into office were the "basket of deplorables" and the "angry white middle class". For those folks, Obamacare is down on their list.

The GOP didn't create this problem. They don't own it.

They will if the press decides they do. Trump didn't make any friends in the media, not even at Fox News. If the media drags enough people onto the talk shows to tell how ending, not fixing, etc. Obamacare ruined their health and their finances, it will all be on the GOP.

President Trump is 4 years of click bait. They are going to ride this puppy into the ground. Any healthcare debacle will allow them to alternate between that and the conflict of interest stories about him and his family.

ICYMI Trump has his own megaphone. Had he relied on the MSM to get out his message HRC would be prez-elect.

BHO had his Tweet machine and other forms of under the radar communication including his Blackberry. Everything with the MSM was scripted.

No doubt Trump should have played to the media more rather than busting their chops. They certainly needed to be taken down a notch or two but once they figure out they need him more than he needs them things might change.

Or he could be like Nixon and fight them all the way.

And one other thing.

The MSM is essentially dead. They lost out to social media and blogs years ago. They have done nothing to adapt which is why they continue to lose market share to networks like Comedy Central.

The MSM doesn't drive the narrative for the majority of the voters no matter what they think.

You say that as if any part of the media was lining up behind Trump.

Sure, there were some conservative bloggers and the like. But really no one was in his camp.

I firmly believe if not for the FBI Director we would be complaining about President Clinton right now. I doubt she would be better, just different.

HRC mostly did it to herself. No one thing sank her.

Not the FBI. They didn't suggest she use a private server and sell favors to foreign governments.

Not Wikileaks. They simply exposed what HRC and the DNC were doing.

Not the Russians. Still no evidence they were involved. Just allegations.

Not the bloggers. Only a few were pro Trump. Erick Erickson was in the never Trump crowd.

Not Drudge. His blog helped but he doesn't write the news, only the headlines. He links to other news sources.

Not Fox. Hannity was perhaps the only one that was pro Trump.

Not fake news. Unless you want to count the Benghazi video. That was certainly fake.

Not Huma. She didn't pretend to be her husband and correspond with underage girls.

Not Millenials. They wanted Bernie.

Not women. They voted for the person with the hoo-haa like they were told to do.

According to Obama she lost because she didn't work hard enough to win the vote of the angry white men and basked of deplorables.

They didn't create it.

But they ARE going to own it (fair or not).

When the rates aren't fixed at the midterms, the GOP will pay the price.

And there is NO way the rates are going to be fixed by 2018

Back