The Federal Option HRP

This temporary program scheduled to dissolve in 2014 offers significantly lower rates than a State or a Hippa plan. I've heard the shouts of joy from the clients that I've moved from uncreditable coverage to this plan. People that could afford standard premiums, but not hippa or state, so they basically went without anything other than a LBP.

My question: What is going to happen to these people when the plan dissolves and they're hurled back to private insurers under the GI mandate?

It's my understanding that the premiums will move up sharply, does anyone know anything about this?

I expect premiums to rise by 2x to 3x.

Ouch!

Of course those earning less than 200% of the FPL transition to Medicaid while those earning between 200% and 400% of the FPL get a taxpayer subsidy.

My only question, are the Chinese on board with paying for those subsidies?

I expect premiums to rise by 2x to 3x.

Ouch!

Of course those earning less than 200% of the FPL transition to Medicaid while those earning between 200% and 400% of the FPL get a taxpayer subsidy.

My only question, are the Chinese on board with paying for those subsidies?

Yes, I haven't had anyone that could qualify for premium assistance that has applied to these plans. What I'm referring to are those that are above 400% FLP, but didn't take hippa because they couldn't or in some cases wouldn't pay $15K to $25K per year on an Individual Health Plan, but were willing to pay $400.

Are they just going to get jacked from $400 Fhrp to $2K in 2014 when the fhrps dissolve? If the only answer is "not more than 10%" of income, then they're back to paying $15K to $25K, and this period before the GI mandate kicks in, has just been a little "calm before the storm".

You seem surprised . . .

Smaller cars, bigger health insurance premiums, Poppa Washington.

I thought that you were going to tell me that I missed a key provision in the plan for those that were above 400% flp to transition from the lower premium fed plan to the new exchange plans.

You have people now that have incomes $200K+ that are paying $3-$400 on the fhrp. The Feds are encouraging the states to implement exchanges early, if they do the fhrp can be dissolved at any given time, is this correct?

Correct. Change you can believe in. Health insurance will be available for the poor and the wealthy. The middle class will be the new "uninsured class". If you make more than 400% of FPL, but not enough to afford premiums of double to triple what they are today, you will become the new "uninsured class". We had to pass the law to see what was in it. Now we see, now we pass out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, yeah, I forgot a couple of key things. If you're wealthy enough to pay 2x to 3x today's premium, you're privileged to be in the "cadillac" category and you're hit with a tax on cadillac level benefits. If you're an agent/broker, your commissions will be slashed, but you may be lowered to less than 400% of FPL and at least get subsidized health insurance (or under 200% and get Medicaid). Obama is brilliant.

Last edited:
The Feds are encouraging the states to implement exchanges early, if they do the fhrp can be dissolved at any given time, is this correct?

HHS Shebullshits is writing checks to states that want to set up Exchanges. Doesn't advance the Obamacrap mandates, such as GI. All this does is give states a 5 yr window to set up the Exchanges.

Of course if HHS doesn't think it fits THEIR guideline the state has done all this work and spent money for naught.

Obama is brilliant.

Sorry, I just lost my supper . . .

Well, apparently there's no clear answer on this one. It seems to me the people I'm referring to it, are on a short ride, and as Ann H. says, back to being uninsured.

Somarco, I just remembered that Georgia opted out, so that explains it.

We may be talking about two different things.

GA decided not to set up an Obamacare risk pool since the govt would do it for them.

So far they have also passed on setting up an Exchange and getting a special state waiver for up to 5 years.

Back