The Future of Small Group Commission

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
I just got word form health insurance insider that we should see commissions reduced on small group by 35%.

This will take place 2014 when the MLR kicks in.

There are carriers that are building product that will operate outside the exchanges that will pay close to current comps.

The products sold outside of the exchanges were obviously arranged by AHIP as part of the negotiations. I've read the language thoroughly and it's as vague as possible.

The legislation simply states that carriers that sell in the exchanges are allowed to offer "excepted" plans outside of the exchanges. It's literally just one paragraph. It's one paragraph and allows carriers to basically do whatever they want as long as they also sell exchange-compliant plans.

I have just look at some TPA's that have developed plans that will be legal to sell outside the exchanges.

This plans might turn out to be hell of a lot cheaper than an exchange plan. They are going to cherry pick but anyone writing group right now is use to that.

The products sold outside of the exchanges were obviously arranged by AHIP as part of the negotiations. I've read the language thoroughly and it's as vague as possible.

The legislation simply states that carriers that sell in the exchanges are allowed to offer "excepted" plans outside of the exchanges. It's literally just one paragraph. It's one paragraph and allows carriers to basically do whatever they want as long as they also sell exchange-compliant plans.

Back