The Hanover, Geico, Travelers

philapa

I recently relocated from PA to NJ and am in the process of getting new auto/renters/umbrella policies issued in NJ. The three companies that seem to be offering the best rates are: The Hanover, Geico, Travelers. The Hanover is the cheapest, but I've never heard of them and am concerned about their claims handling if I eve were to have an auto claim. Based on JD Power they have a high satisfaction rate for claims handling of home/renters claims.

The independent agent I'm working with has reccomended Travelers over The Hanover based on claims satisfaction (but they are also the most expensive).

Any reccomendations for choosing between those 3 companies?

Thanks in advance.

The independent agent I'm working with has reccomended Travelers over The Hanover based on claims satisfaction (but they are also the most expensive).

Which means that the agent makes more commission on the more expensive Travelers policy.

Assuming that it's the Hanover of NJ that you are referring to, A. M. Best gives it an A rating and it's a 2 billion dollar company.

The Hanover New Jersey Insurance Company - Company Profile - Best's Credit Rating Center

There are several sites with reviews:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hanover+insurance+new+jersey+reviews&t=h_

Check with the Dept of Insurance regarding complaints.

If everything checks out to your satisfaction, I'd go with price if there is a significant difference. But that's just me.

:yes:

So we are assuming the independent agent is steering based on commission, and has no ethical reason to recommend Travelers? I think that is a counter productive point of view... not so much as the weak, go to Geico approach... where 9 of 10 will end up with little or no UM/UIM and you are receiving counsel from a $12 an hour phone operator...

Perhaps, the agent is presenting what they feel is best based on past claims experience, but ethically feels obligated to also present the Hanover policy because of the lower cost, and his duty to the client.

Having been in the business for 17+ years, I can say that Travelers hands down is the one I would go with, but I cant spend your money for you.

IMO... In order...

Travelers
Hanover
Geico

Travelers is a strong National carrier

Hanover is a strong Regional carrier - not in all U.S. States

Geico is Geico and is of course a National carrier

All three companies have good reputations and ratings

Back