The Importance of a Secondary Insurance with those Only on Original Medicare

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
When you meet someone who only has Original Medicare, do you use real-life stories to try and enroll then in a Supp or MAPD? It's frustrating when someone stubbornly doesn't listen and later ends up seriously ill.

My cousin is 54, disabled and on Original Medicare only. He's been receiving SSDI since he was 47 due to RA and a hip replacement due to many years of labor as a roofer. Apparently, if he had been at least 50 he could have gotten a Supp through his union.

I had talked to him several times in the past two years since I've been an agent about the importance of having a secondary insurance plan. In PA if you are under 65 you can get a Supp with some carriers if you can pass underwriting after your Open Enrollment (he couldn't). When he had the first hip replaced he got an infection while in the hospital and was there for a month. He needed to have the other replaced, too but the doctor wouldn't do it until he lost at least 50 pounds. I urged him to seriously consider an MAPD but he also need to contact SS to see what his LEP would be as he doesn't have a PDP, either. He "yes'd" me several times but never took action.

He was just diagnosed with interstitial lung disease due to his RA. Him being a former smoker, taking methotrexate which can contribute didn't help and his prognosis is grim.

Between he and his wife (also disabled), they make about $90,000 per year between his roofer's pension and both of their SSDIs, so a SEP due to LIS, etc is out of the question. I guess he will have to wait till AEP for an MAPD with a 1/1/18 effective date.

Truism: You can drag a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink! Some folks just won't listen no matter what. It is frustrating when you're trying to help someone but they won't help themselves.

The ones that really frustrate me are the ones in this situation who then have a community organization sponsor a fundraiser to help with "uncovered" medical expenses. I refuse to assist in those situations.

Sounds like you've done all you can do.

Truism: You can drag a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink! Some folks just won't listen no matter what. It is frustrating when you're trying to help someone but they won't help themselves.

The ones that really frustrate me are the ones in this situation who then have a community organization sponsor a fundraiser to help with "uncovered" medical expenses. I refuse to assist in those situations.

Sounds like you've done all you can do.

"Pay the premium or take the risk"

Back