The Initial Fear of Talking to People

ewilkins

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
How did you successful guys and gals get over the initial fear of talking to people? I finally got some courage earlier this week and walked into some offices with some brochures. I simply attached my business card to them, handed them over, told them to have a nice day and left. I figured that would be a good way for me to get started. Even that left me nervous as hell. I want to do this business and I'm okay when I THINK about doing these different forms of marketing. It's when I actually DO it that gets me. Anyone else have any fear of this? I'm hoping it doesn't mean that I'm not right for this business. It's a fear I need to get over. I'm going to start attending Toastmasters in hopes it can help me.

Re: The Fear

Here's the rub.

Always expect to be uncomfortable.

Almost nobody is perfectly relaxed door-knocking strangers cold.

Rousemark's been doing it for 40+ years door-to-door residential; he told me he still gets the butterflies.

But he still does it anyway. What does that tell you?

"The quickest way to get over your fear is to face them head on and crush them." Again and again.

How did you successful guys and gals get over the initial fear of talking to people? I finally got some courage earlier this week and walked into some offices with some brochures. I simply attached my business card to them, handed them over, told them to have a nice day and left. I figured that would be a good way for me to get started. Even that left me nervous as hell. I want to do this business and I'm okay when I THINK about doing these different forms of marketing. It's when I actually DO it that gets me. Anyone else have any fear of this? I'm hoping it doesn't mean that I'm not right for this business. It's a fear I need to get over. I'm going to start attending Toastmasters in hopes it can help me.

Simply depends on how hungry you are. Some people you get will be rude, but be happy you can make the decision that they have just crossed themselves off your list of people you would like to help today.

It is always a numbers game. You can getting a better closing percentage over time, but the ones who are at the top simply talk to more people during the day. They also try to learn constantly and make changes to their presentations all the time. Good luck. If it were easy, every body would do it. It's the hard part of this business you have to get comfortable with. Some do, some don't.

Buy and read The Psychology of Sales Call Reluctance. Figure out what type you have and apply the prescription recommended to overcome it.

Zig says: Some will. Some won't. So what.

Fear is a liar. Step into the box and swing the bat. If you keep your eye on the ball, you'll hit it. (that's what I tell my baseball team, and myself, most days)

Here is some blunt tips.

1) stop stop stop.... You are thinking in to it way too much. So what if they don't want to talk to you; you didn't walk out with anything less then you walked in with.

2) role play role play role play... Ask your spouse to role play with you on your job/ pitch. Ask your boss, co-workers, practice by yourself in the car and in the mirror. Seems silly but it works. Stay consistent and allows focus on improving you.

3) watch this video... Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are - YouTube
It's about faking it till you make it. It's worth watching the whole time other wise you'll miss the beneficial part of putting it all together.

Hope it helps!

Someone said "Successful people form the habit of doing the things unsuccessful people aren't willing to do". That's fine as far as it goes, but Wayne Cotton (www.cottonsystems.com) says instead to find a way to do the things you must do in a way that doesn't grind you to powder.

Grinding it out every day doing things that leave you in an emotional puddle is no way to live. There are many answers to your question, but the most important one is this:

Believe in what you're doing and see its value for the people you're working with.

There's more, but unless you get that one first, the others won't matter.

I think alot of it is your personality. I know alot of people who would never be able to approach potential clients the first time and would never be able to even think about selling them something. When I was 19 I tried a job selling and I was so nervous I did the same thing as you I handed them a brochure and got back to my car as soon as I could. Now 20 some years later I have no problem talking to people and walking into their home for the first time. With me it just came as I got older, I can now do Seminars but in high school I got so nervous in Speech class I would nearly puke. Hang in there and it will get easier every day you do it.

That's it.

That's all you need to know.

Now stop reading and start doing.

Zig says: Some will. Some won't. So what.

Fear is a liar. Step into the box and swing the bat. If you keep your eye on the ball, you'll hit it. (that's what I tell my baseball team, and myself, most days)

Back