The Lion's Share of the FE Market - Closing 117 of 585

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Ok, the post title may not be perfect, but I'm hoping to draw some attention. :biggrin:

Here is what I've been (almost obsessively) interested in for a while. I need ideas and feedback. Maybe no one is targeting these 585 people... but if you are or if you want to, I'd love for this thread to turn into something great.

Here is what we've (all collectively, in general) been doing for years. I started in FE a few years ago, moved to Med Supps, now I do both...

We systematically...
1. Send 1,000 direct mail pieces
2. Get 1.5% return (if we are lucky) - 15 cards
3. Close 20% - i.e., 3 apps
(JD has said, over and over, that a good average agent will close 20%, so let's use that #)
4. Count the money... $1,800 AP (* Comp %) - (roughly) $400 lead cost = nice profit.

(of course we also get tele-leads...but you get my drift)

We do this week after week and call it a day. Of course there are variables, but let's talk general.

Here is the bottom line. We market to 1,000 people for 3 applications. So, we close .3% of those whom we market to.

I'm reading through Question Based Selling for a 2nd time. He talks a lot about "latent needs" vs. "active needs" and makes the point that the true opportunity, in any sales market, is found by uncovering latent needs.

These are people who need Final Expense coverage but did not send the card in. i.e., they aren't actively looking. Our card didn't "disturb" them in to looking - but the fact that they are not actively looking does not mean that there is not a need to be filled. (note - a need can created by problems or desires).

So, here's my math...
Out of those 1,000 people that we mailed, let's assume that 600 have a true need for Final Expense Life Insurance. So 400 throw away our card because they don't need (no problems...no desires) a thing from us. The other 600 have a need, but only 15 of those 600 people are actively looking. Out of those 15, we can only sell 3.

But the 585 who aren't actively looking throw the card away. They throw it away even though they have a need! This need hasn't been "disturbed" enough so the needs stays latent....

How can we target the 585, who really are in the same situation as the 15 who did return the card?

If we can figure out a way to target these people, the 58.5%, and close 20%, then I think we'll hit the lion's share of the FE market.

Or we can keep going after the small sliver - the 1.5% who return cards.

This discussion may be similar to the T65 medicare discussion. The T65 have an active need, so most agents go after them. But many have come on here and pointed out that the true "riches" are in targeting the 68+ who aren't actively looking for change.

Help me out here.

Any way to target the 585?

How have you helped these people "realize" their need (either their problem or their desire)?

For those who might stick to their guns by saying that they only work with people who are looking for insurance - then how on earth would you work a referral? Referrals are almost never "actively" looking. But, we sell to referrals because we can bring their problems/wants to light.

How can we do this on a broader scale?

If we can figure this out, we can work a smaller area. i.e., we won't have to send 1-2,000 cards per week. We won't have to have a "territory" spread over a few counties...

We also won't have as much competition - since the 15 people who return cards will no longer be our target. Leave those people to LHLIC...:D

(to read an excerpt from the book...click here)

Thanks, in advance, for the replies.

Set your business up so that people refer you. Then work those referrals so that they refer.

Learn to prospect the people that do not mail in little cards.

----------

Before someone post this is FE and it will not work. It works for me. Daily.

Set your business up so that people refer you. Then work those referrals so that they refer.

Learn to prospect the people that do not mail in little cards.

----------

Before someone post this is FE and it will not work. It works for me. Daily.

Sure it will work. But is not the model followed by the top FE producers.

If someone wishes to dabble in FE then it's fine to go off the grid. But I doubt that a person dabbling is sending out all that mail.

Sure it will work. But is not the model followed by the top FE producers.

If someone wishes to dabble in FE then it's fine to go off the grid. But I doubt that a person dabbling is sending out all that mail.

Fair enough. But he was asking about getting the non responders. I get 3 or 4 a week. They call me. I can not imagine anyone with a couple hundred + clients not getting multiple calls or referrals. I got several this week and I just dabble in the SIWL products. I fully expect I will get more next week.

I 2nd the see cold door knocking thread. Pretty simple that if you have the money buy more leads. You pay for them with either money or your time cold knocking you decide.

Here's something interesting. I once tracked my stats for 30 days cold knocking a list solely for FE. Out of 1000 doors, I approached 360 people, and closed roughly 3% as well! But it took me a whole month to knock on as many doors, and mine were all in one zip code! What if those 585 are spread out all over? After you factor in the time and gas spent, it might be more efficient just to do repeat mailings. Sooner or later their going to attend someone's funeral, and their going to become "disturbed" enough to eventually send in the reply card!

Last edited:
Here's something interesting. I once tracked my stats for 30 days cold knocking a list solely for FE. Out of 1000 doors, I approached 360 people, and closed roughly 3% as well! But it took me a whole month to knock on as many doors, and mine were all in one zip code! What if those 585 are spread out all over? After you factor in the time and gas spent, it might be more efficient just to do repeat mailings. Sooner or later their going to attend someone's funeral, and their going to become "disturbed" enough to eventually send in the reply card!

I'm interested in the hours and days you worked to get those sales. Do you mean you knocked on 360 doors or had 360 that answered? Also did you close 3 percent of 1000 or of 360?

The method would already exist if it were possible. Those 585 make up the other segment of business that is referrals or an already established customer. If you're of a certain age than you most certainly have received a card in the mail by now or seen an ad for FE. If you never responded but have a need than you make up the 585, but I very much believe those folks can be swayed by a good referral or an already strong relationship with you.

Other than that I don't know how to get them. In a perfect world you'd go to a new church every Sunday and right when the preacher has all the folks feeling guilty and saying their "praise lords" you are allowed to hop up there and hit em with some guilt about leaving their kids behind with their funeral costs.

Bet you'd fill out plenty of applications :D

Back