The Necessary Tools: Starting in 2 weeks

G

This is my first post, but I've been reading your forum for the last few weeks, appreciating the enormous contributions and wisdom of so many of your members.

I'm starting as a sales rep with New York Life, and currently work as an English professor at a University in St. Louis, MO with no experience in sales or insurance. :GEEK:

I begin training at the end of May and should be licensed to sell Life Insurance, LTC, and fixed annuities by early June and would like to get an early start.

I am trying to compile a list of the things I need to do and buy before I begin with NYL, and would like sage advice on whether I have missed anything on my to-do and to-buy list for the next few weeks.

Goals: setup as much networking infrastructure as possible (online), purchase products (like a cellphone) that will serve me well in my new career (affordable is preferred!). If you have a phone, software, laptop brand, or website that you use regularly and with success, let me know!

Online:
  • Google calendar (for setting appointments)
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • LinkedIn
  • Classmates.com

Buys:
  • Cellphone (Tmobil? Recommended by a friend)
  • Laptop (Useless? Should I get a desktop instead to keep in office?)
  • Software (Keep track of things with excel or specialty software?)
  • Dialer (for more efficient telemarketing, usable on multiple phones preferred, as I have several people interested in working part-time for me on this)
  • WiFi vs. Sprint wireless connector?
  • Data Management Software (keeping track of prospects, sales, etc., saw one recommended earlier on this forum and couldn't find it again today)
What else am I missing? Are there other tools I should be made aware of or other things I should do in preparation for this move (other than make good use of my dental insurance at my current job)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It seems to me that NYL would be providing you with all this info. You need to be talking with NYL agents about what they are doing. It seems that a laptop is needed.
:cool:

Thanks for the quick response Rabbi. I was hoping maybe I could do a little deal hunting before I went in. I might find a cheaper laptop with 2 weeks to look than if I just go to BestBuy on a single day with a need to buy.

... if I do need one. And I suspect I will.

As for cellphone, etc. I anticipate the agents there will have a dozen different carriers/plans (ie, no "official NYL phone"), and just wanted to see if anyone can give me a personal recommendation on what kind/plan is appropriate for a new agent.

Additionally, there are oodles of websites for connecting to people, and I wanted to see if I missed any.

I will start looking for a laptop.

As far as a cell phone, it seems everyone has their favorites. I don't even use my cell phone. I work at home. Some get unlimited plans because they are on the street all day.
:cool:

Will NYL require you to use the One Card System? If they do go ahead and acquire it and start using it. If not consider acquiring this system. If it us used religiously you will not fail. Nothing else will matter. One Card System

What you need to be thinking about right now is what things will aid you in prospecting and getting in front of prospects.

I't also helpful to have duct tape, 2-flashlights, felt tip pens, binoculars, bull-**** repellent, the New York Times, an empty Cambells Soup can, coin changer, the pelts of 3-boil wevils, Satellite-powered database, Jiff Peanut Butter, a shoe horn, insect repellent, bicycle shorts, 3' X 2" length of velcro, a blond medium-length wig, a 3 foot length of Hot Wheels track (orange color prefered), 12 ice cube trays, a pair of dice, a jar of filtered sand, a spork, a 1968 Sears Christmas Wishbook, a purple cape and 3-live chickens.

Your sales manager will teach you how to use these items.

:noteworthy: Newby that was some funny ****!

Now I'm sure NYL has proprietary software etc. I am using quotit for my health end (has a good client management system and ties all aspects of your health business together), but I still do an awfully lot with a portable file and good old fashioned paper (especially for Life and Med Supps). It depends on the type of insurance I'm marketing.

You will want the portability of a laptop IMO. However, the MOST important thing is to pick up the phone and make calls; get in front of people and keep it powerful, concise and emotive. Too many details can cause people's eyes to blur over and they will tune you out after awhile.

As for setting appointments, I use the At-A-Glance 18 month datebook from Day Planners and Wall Calendars for Busy Schedules - AT-A-GLANCE Office Products. It will run you in the $21 ballpark. They also have a very nice PlannerFolio Cover for $42. The one that I use runs Monday through Sunday with quarter-hour dividers for Monday through Friday from 7am through 8:45 pm. Saturday is quarter-hour divided from 7am through 5:30 pm. Sunday has minimal space. I don't prefer the online calendar. I just like to do it the old-fashioned way and always have it handy.

I do like Facebook and MySpace for online interacting. I have used them both in business this week, already.

For Cellular Phone needs, I don't like T-Mobile because of their lack of coverage in rural areas. Same goes for Sprint/Nextel. Survey your friends between AT&T and Verizon for your best bet.

Laptop needs. I like a simple Acer laptop. They are inexpensive but very reliable. I am on my 2nd one. The kids liked the first one so much that I just let them play with it. For my 2nd one, I only paid around $350 at Circuit City, after rebates. Ecost.com will often run good deals. Also, woot.com will occasionally have a daily deal or a link to one. There is no need to go out and spend $700 to $1200 on a laptop that will be used primarily for illustration software.

Hope this helps.

I't also helpful to have duct tape, 2-flashlights, felt tip pens... and 3-live chickens.

:laugh:

These have all been helpful suggestions. I did ask in the office today and found that the laptop has specifications to run proprietary software. I'm currently looking at Dell small business to see what's out there for me, if anything.

Also, I found a link to the insurance software, it's called YIO (Your Insurance Office), and there's a link to it in these forums. That thread seems to have been hijacked, but the product looks promising. Anyone here have experience with it?

Also, I found a link to the insurance software, it's called YIO (Your Insurance Office), and there's a link to it in these forums. That thread seems to have been hijacked, but the product looks promising. Anyone here have experience with it?
Well, at the risk of rebuttals, I think it's a great program. It's not web based but I don't need it to be. You can download a free demo to take a look at it.

Rick

Back