The O'care Money Problem for Agents

Had a lady yesterday that has been a client for years. I was getting a 5% renewal on her gf plan for life. The premium is $650/mo., but her plan is cancelling 12/31. We wrote her a new plan with a $800 premium and a whopping 5% fyc..this was after much crying, praying and lengthy discussion. My net gain is 5% of $150 or $90 if she keeps the plan for 12 months, but here's the fun part..she only needs it for six months til Medicare.

So my entire life was thrown into a chaotic state for $45. She may not even use me for Medicare after this, who knows what people think? "if the agent wasn't such an asshole, I could have kept my plan"..

How much money does she make that a $150 increase would be that problematic for 6 months? Sounds like maybe she would be subsidy eligible if things are that tight. I usually try to solve that by showing them (in general numbers) how much the premium drops once they get on Medicare and making it more of a yearly figure. Next year her premiums costs will be down overall. She paid $7800 for premiums this year on the GF. She will pay about $6600 next year. (obviously pricing is different in different area). Most of that is going to come before she gets on Medicare.

That usually makes it easier to swallow for my about to T65s.

Had a lady yesterday that has been a client for years. I was getting a 5% renewal on her gf plan for life. The premium is $650/mo., but her plan is cancelling 12/31. We wrote her a new plan with a $800 premium and a whopping 5% fyc..this was after much crying, praying and lengthy discussion. My net gain is 5% of $150 or $90 if she keeps the plan for 12 months, but here's the fun part..she only needs it for six months til Medicare.

So my entire life was thrown into a chaotic state for $45. She may not even use me for Medicare after this, who knows what people think? "if the agent wasn't such an asshole, I could have kept my plan"..

Oh, no, don't you remember? "You can keep your doctors, and you can keep your plan." It's not you that is the asshole.

Back