The Perfect Agency

I can agree that setting up sales as a normal job with normal expectations is a better way to go. I also have no doubt once you train someone they will grow into it, or at least many, lets face many simply can never take the step of being totally independent. Yet for those that can be independent and succeed will not stay, the agency can not be structured for the Super-Star. That do me is an obvious conclusion and one I can agree with.

Corporate America and actually business around the world is arranged with the understanding that people need rules, atmosphere and motivation. If a company like Google had every single employee start to work from home they'd be out of business in a month.

And really the bottom line is most sale people who won't want to be "controlled" in reality simply don't want to work.

Working from home is flat out boring and lonely. I screw off half the day and my income would at least double if I was working out of an office with other independents.

Now THERE'S an idea! Get a bunch of independents together to share office space!

When I work for Olan Mills as a district supervisor I could take nearly anyone of normal intelligence and make them a sales person or photographer and they would make around 40 to 50 grand a year no problem. The ones that left to seek their own business would be back in 6 months tops for their old job. I agree, most people need structure.

Now THERE'S an idea! Get a bunch of independents together to share office space![/quote]

Great idea.

The only potential downfall is it turns into a roomate situation where the end of the month comes and one or two agents don't have their share of the expenses. Or one agent decides not to do it anymore and now the other two are holding the bag for all the expenses.

The other potential problem is one or more agents simply don't get along with each other. Sometimes personalities clash. You get into "Murphy's Law" where everything unexpected happens. You hire a secretary and she wants to quit since she doesn't like one of the agents. You confront that agent who says "then fire her, I'm paying rent here."

You basically need very chilled out people who are also agressive. The problem is most agressive people are "Alpha males" who want to control everything.

The only potential downfall is it turns into a roomate situation where the end of the month comes and one or two agents don't have their share of the expenses. Or one agent decides not to do it anymore and now the other two are holding the bag for all the expenses.

That could be a real issue, but I think it could be a lot worse if you have more than 3 agents in one office who do not adhere to a contract.

The other potential problem is one or more agents simply don't get along with each other. Sometimes personalities clash. You get into "Murphy's Law" where everything unexpected happens. You hire a secretary and she wants to quit since she doesn't like one of the agents. You confront that agent who says "then fire her, I'm paying rent here."

That would be option two in my book. It is an added perk if you get along with an individual.

You basically need very chilled out people who are also agressive. The problem is most agressive people are "Alpha males" who want to control everything.

A contract between the agents would alleviate that issue.

Get it all down and in writing --- including what happens when it all goes sour. Especially as related to lead-flow and clients.

These things typically aren't sustainable long-term (>2 yrs.)

Back