The Secret to Selling Medicare Supplements

I actually started with a BNI networking group. I did it for a few years, made some great contacts. Best the part of BNI, IMO, is the training on HOW to network. Made a lot of contacts and thats how I started getting into FP offices. There was a successful FP in the group who introduced me to her colleagues. I still regularly talk to people from the group. I probably have about 50 active COIs at this point. But it took me about 7 years to get here. (Which was fine, because from a personal view, I really couldn't put any more hours in until then.) I used to host breakfasts quarterly, but now I do one a month in June, July, Aug and Sept. The numbers increase each time and usually in Sept I have to tell people its full. Its around $10 per person. The room holds 15 people. I'm too cheap for direct mail, so that hasn't happened. A few years ago, I put $1K into internet leads. I think I got one policy out of it that stayed on the books for 3 months. I think its great that people can sell to virgins over the phone, 6 states away via bought leads. I can't do it. I sell to people that were referred by friends or the person who handles their money. I network better than I sell. My "tricks" are: 1. I only sell health. I even terminated all my life contracts, so they know I'm not selling their clients anything else. My Medicare presentation tees up LTC and at that point, I know the health history, so I pitch the Pac Life annuity or LTC and tell them I will have their FP contact them to discuss. The FPs love that. And I'm shocked at the number of people who think Medicare will pay for their nursing homes. 2. I sell myself as a way to keep their clients from talking to anyone else, who just might happen to sell annuities or LTC or whatever. 3. They use me to bring the clients in at 64. I talk about Medicare and they talk about moving the 401k to an annuity. Then I let the client know I will follow up with them 90 days out for Part B, then 60 days out for Plan G and Part D. 4. If some gets laid off, the first person they call is their FP. Who tells them to call me ASAP, before they sign up for COBRA. Sometimes I sell it, sometimes I tell them to stay on COBRA. BUT...right now I'm helping these people for zero comp. Which isn't great, but keeping the FP happy is worth the hour. Plus, there aren't any jobs in the 75K to 150K range anyway, so they get contacted during OEP and I get the sale at that point. Its not like Im working that hard right now, anyway. 5. Small business looking to start a group plan typically meet with their FP to get the money. I have a bunch of micro groups. Some stay micro, some grow, some go out of business. I still wind up keeping the clients. I'm at 80% phone only. And thats probably going to hold. I only schedule out of office meetings on Tues and Thurs, unless its critical. I have NO Friday meetings, phone or in person EVER. Fridays are for my to-do list only. Scheduling appts. Making sure applications are processed. Sending thank you cards. Follow ups on service issues. I usually wake on Friday to 20-30 tasks. I really think making this shift has been critical to my success. Anyway, thats my exciting "how I do it" list. And why when you say $400 a policy, I don't get it. But to each its own. I want everyone to be successful, with whatever works for them. And thanks, Bevo!

You did an interview/video with Chris some years back, right? I remember watching it.

If not, some other lady has copied your business model to the T haha.

You did an interview/video with Chris some years back, right? I remember watching it.

If not, some other lady has copied your business model to the T haha.

No, it was me. Chris is one of my favorites in the business. :)

And thanks to all, for your kind words.

Its all about what works for you.

Back