The Story of One Employer Dropping Coverage

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
This is a very well written story:

Thanks To Obama And Health Care Reform, I'm No Longer Paying For My Employees' Insurance

"So I now find myself responsible for paying for health insurance for more than 30 million strangers. Yet the cash needs of my business, which is growing despite the difficult economy of the past few years, are not going to decline. Nor are my personal financial commitments going to decrease. The only way to make financial room for those 30 million strangers is to stop paying for insurance for the 20 people I work with every day."

And the next great paragraph:

"Runaway health insurance costs have been a burden for every business that pays them. Every sensible manager has at least considered steps to stem this financial hemorrhage. Many of us were just holding on so as not to disrupt employees’ lives while we waited for policymakers to do something.

Now they have done something, and it only made the problem worse. There is no longer any reason to wait."

That was a great article, and he is exactly right. The average person and commentator will see him as the villian, and not the victim.

There was something he briefly touched on, and I think he should have expanded on further. I believe it was a point of pride for him to pay the entire cost for health insurance, and I believe many other employers felt exactly the same. It is a shame that was taken away from him and others, in the guise of extending health care coverage to everyone.

This is going to be repeated thousands of times over and over and over. Small group insurance is D.O.A.

I dealing with these kind of issues every month with all of my groups.

I have cases that are getting 30% rate increases with 70% loss ratios.

At this point I really believe the carriers are stock pile cash.

The small group health under 100 lives very well could be DOA but it will reemerge. These companies will not be able to keep their top talent. I have seen this first hand.

Maybe I'm just dense but I don't see a real explanation of why he stopped paying for coverage. He only says the policymakers have done something so now he made his decision. It is me or does he not explain that decision other than using the hyperbole of "paying for 30 million strangers"?

I agree, most of the carriers are dropping commissions , raising minimum production requirements. we can only hope that the nov 2 elections will get some people in office who will repeal the current fiasco

This is a very well written story:

Thanks To Obama And Health Care Reform, I'm No Longer Paying For My Employees' Insurance

"So I now find myself responsible for paying for health insurance for more than 30 million strangers. Yet the cash needs of my business, which is growing despite the difficult economy of the past few years, are not going to decline. Nor are my personal financial commitments going to decrease. The only way to make financial room for those 30 million strangers is to stop paying for insurance for the 20 people I work with every day."

And the next great paragraph:

"Runaway health insurance costs have been a burden for every business that pays them. Every sensible manager has at least considered steps to stem this financial hemorrhage. Many of us were just holding on so as not to disrupt employees’ lives while we waited for policymakers to do something.

Now they have done something, and it only made the problem worse. There is no longer any reason to wait."

Sadly this will be a very common situation from now on.American Seniors Insurance

Last edited:
Back