The Truth About Internet Leads, NetQuote, Insureme, Etc.

romulus86

Hi All,

I've been a webmaster for various Lead Gen websites for a few years and I am truly fascinated by some of your opinions and views on Netquote. I've been working with my company to sell leads to them so 9 times out of 10 if you are receiving leads it's from guys like us who sell them.

One of the things that a lot of people don't get when they buy from parties like NQ, and findalocalagent, is the trickling down effect that comes from easily being able to purchase leads. Without that direct contact, there's really no way to guarantee perfect leads. These companies are full of crap if they are telling you they can provide perfect leads, because they are not the ones sifting through them to make sure they are quality leads.

- If we receive 150 leads a day, only 80 may be good quality leads. But we still send them in.

- Filling out an online quote results in maybe 4-5 calls for that customer. This means that Affiliates are not just selling to you. And, you still have to pitch your price to customers even after you've purchased a lead. Which is a problem if you're not the only one who has received that lead.

- Direct companies like Geico have an advantage because they can afford to pay more for higher quality leads and they usually get priority. Any good website will sell to the highest bidder and sell of the junk to the rest

- There are companies that will let your re sell old leads, so you get what you pay for, and if you're paying less than what we pay for in advertising costs then you're SOL

Hope that helps

Has there been a drop off in sales with the lead companies you use to work with?

There's been a drop off in PPC Sales because of Google's rising costs.

Most companies are switching to organic SEO now so costs are zero but the volume has decreased. It's a good thing though, because good SEO beats advertising any day and it reduces the amount of junk leads being sold

There's enough blame to go around. Vendors bear some responsibility but there are far too many agents who want to receive 6 leads a day, only between 9am and 5 pm, never on weekends, only healthy and oh...can you pause the account for the next 8 days? I need to get my next check.

Oh, almost forgot - no one under 25 and over 55. Oh, and no smokers....

There's enough blame to go around. Vendors bear some responsibility but there are far too many agents who want to receive 6 leads a day, only between 9am and 5 pm, never on weekends, only healthy and oh...can you pause the account for the next 8 days? I need to get my next check.

Oh, almost forgot - no one under 25 and over 55. Oh, and no smokers....

Lol. Now this is my question. There are a bazillion websites that provide leads for tons of agents.

Why don't the agents connect directly to the websites, and tell them what they are looking for, that way they can get what they want, spend less, and receive direct customers without having to compete with other agents for the same lead from NQ and others?

Believe it or not, any website that sells its traffic to multiple vendors (which usually is the case) then they are able to filter for agents. I've done before when we had actual agents in our region.

Do those multiple vendors on accept leads pretty much all leads, or do they restrict the leads to between 9am and 5pm and no weekends?

Those affiliate websites generate leads 24/7 and operate off volume. I don't think they are set up to handle 100 different independent agents all with their own criteria.

You are also going to have far more billing/account issues dealing with independent agents than with larger vendors.

I wouldn't wish selling leads to agents on anyone. Dante described the 9 circles of hell. The 10th is selling internet leads.

Last edited:
Let me say that because we create the programs we can do whatever we want the leads whenever we want. So if you want your leads at noon on every 3rd Saturday of the month then that's when you will get them.

Also, you're right selling to agents seems pointless for the lead gens because insurance seems to be moving away from agents and more on direct companies

I hope the lead companies get shut down because of market conditions. If there is a reduction in comp in the Individual market they are done.
Which is good for me because I spend a lot in my site to generate my own leads.

Back