the Value of Showing Up

M

Mike_Golden1

I had an interesting experience yesterday that I think needs to be shared...

I had a 9AM appointment with a potential client for Health & Life insurance. He is a referral from another client (his boss, the owner of the company) and we had a good meeting and will get together next week to enroll he and his family for health insurance and start an app for $1.2M of term insurance.

I had also prepared a quote for another business owner about 1/2 mile away but had only spoken with her for a couple of minutes and didn't consider her interest really serious but decided to drop off the quote after my meeting, introduce myself, and leave it there in case she might be interested down the road.

Here's what happened after I stopped by, unannounced, at a very busy Hair Salon:
1. I showed her the three price options for her uninsured husband. She picked one (an Assurant HSA) and said enroll both of them (I had only thought her husband would be a candidate because she has other insurance). Monthly premium: $313.
2. She introduced me to one of her stylists who doesn't have insurance. He wants a low deductible, copay plan with nothing out of pocket (it's a tough plan to find) after the deducible. I'll go back and see him on Tuesday with a recommendation and probably enroll him.
3. She told her daughter, who also works there, to talk to me about her insurance (married, two kids, on a Blue Cross plan for $580 a month). She had just paid her February bill so we are going to get back together in a couple of weeks and see about a March effective date, but this is a sale.
4. She told her 23 year old son, who also works there, to get insurance. I quoted him $125 a month for a plan and he will do it when his sister enrolls.

On top of all that, she gave me a great haircut to boot...

I had dropped off another quote at a potential client on Thursday and, while I didn't get an instant enrollment, got a return call yesterday asking for an alternative quote (about $315 a month) and should do the enrollment next week as well.

So there is value in showing up as well as incredible value in telemarketing to business owners and getting exclusive leads with people who have a vested interest in making sure that they don't lose their homes and businesses in the event of a major illness.

Congratulations. I just signed up my first deal online yesterday and it felt great.

James said:
Showing Up! Love it! Sounds like you had a good week, amazing what life has in stored if you only get out and show up!

It actually got better last night. I had dinner with close friends, one of whom is a Postal Service employee who will be retiring soon. They started as clients and have become very good friends. I had encouraged him to get his insurance license about 4 months ago and get some training with United American. He has one full day and one evening a week he can work and it hasn't been a good experience for him.

I've been talking with him about working with me and realized the other day than I have more leads than I can handle on a timely basis so our discussion was about how he could help. He happened to mention one of his good friends, who is a manager at a paint distribution business in town, is paying $600 a month for his wife and son's health insurance through his company. Imagine the surprise when I ran a rate quote for Golden Rule's HSA 100 with a $2200 deductible and could cut his premium in half, take $180 a month and put it in an HSA, and reduce the maximum he could pay annually by $1200 a year from his current premium alone.

We are getting together tomorrow before the Super Bowl party to show him the plan (I know the guy also) and probably enroll his family. He also mentioned that his company has a bunch of people in a similar spot so this will most likely mean a number of referrals, maybe even a relationship with the corporate office (they have multiple branches) for both individual and possibly group coverage for the entire company.

This can be a great business, can't it?

So you have a friend that has a friend in common and that will lead to a sale! That is what I call Circle of Influence at its finest. I think you are starting to understand!

Great Story

LOL, great story! Kinda reminds me of the time I was having lunch at local Italian restaraunt. I was sitting at the bar with my laptop talking to a client about the differences in certain dental plans. Someone overheard my conversation with this person, walked up to me and stated that she had been looking for health insurance but was very confused on what plans were good. To make a long story short she ended up buying a health policy from me but the point I'm trying to make is you need to be in peoples faces and not always at home or in the office behind a desk because you might be missing out on potential sales like these.

Have I said I love this business yet?

Re: Great Story

insuremojo said:
LOL, great story! Kinda reminds me of the time I was having lunch at local Italian restaraunt. I was sitting at the bar with my laptop talking to a client about the differences in certain dental plans. Someone overheard my conversation with this person, walked up to me and stated that she had been looking for health insurance but was very confused on what plans were good. To make a long story short she ended up buying a health policy from me but the point I'm trying to make is you need to be in peoples faces and not always at home or in the office behind a desk because you might be missing out on potential sales like these.

Have I said I love this business yet?

That's another part to the story from yesterday-I stopped for lunch at a Panera Bread and wound up sharing a table with a another guy-we started talking as I was leaving and I found out he and his wife spend 6 months a year in the states (they are British) and have been thinking about some kind of health insurance while they are here in case of an emergency. I emailed him a link for temporary medical-he hasn't signed up yet but have the feeling he will.

Mike dont forget to offer these clients a policy --- Continental Care -- will help save on that deductable

issue ages are 30 to 89

and for age 30 its only about 18 a month -- a great addon

great for the customer

Latest posts

Back