There Has to Be a Better Way!!!

HisBoog

I am not new to the insurance world, but am new to the actual business of insurance...if that makes any sense. And yes, I have cold called for many different employers in my life, but cold calling for that RNA is killing me!!!!! Any pointers, advice, scripts that have worked for you, ANYTHING will be accepted with open ears and mind!!!! I feel so robotic, and to be perfectly honest absolutely stupid when I am making these calls! Please Help!!!!:no:

First, cold calling is a grind. Second, the more uncomfortable you are, the worse it's going to hurt.

I've had up to 20 telemarketers at time working for me and both ran the appointments myself and had other agents run them. The most successful week for any agent running leads I had generated for them using telemarketers wrote around $9k in premium (final expense). That was the highest and I'm cherry picking stats here, but it is viable. There are a good number of folks that fail with it too and that shouldn't be discounted.

The two biggest things I see folks do that puts them at a disadvantage are introducing themselves and using the other persons name. If you're running lead cards that can be different, but it usually amounts to wasting time (which lowers your odds of success) when you're gold calling.

First, let's talk about introducing yourself. If I were to call you and say
Hi, is this Jim? Hi Jim, I'm calling you from Affordable Marketing Lists. We've been selling lists for about four years and work with compilers that have been aggregating data for decades. We have a 4.9/5.0 customer service rating with Google Wallet. We also provide a 100% replacement or refund guarantee on all our data...

How would you respond? You're eyes would probably glaze over and you'd be annoyed because I just talked at you using what might be a good advertising piece, probably not a convincing telephone script.

What if I took a different (and much shorter approach)?

Hi, how are you doing today? I'm glad/sorry to hear that. I'm calling you because I'm helping folks grow their business by getting new customers, would you like to find out how I can help you?

The reality is that you don't care who I'm with or what my name is, you want to know why I'm bothering you and what I'm trying to sell you. The sooner I can get that out the less time you have to spend being annoyed waiting for me to get to the point.

To put this in final expense terms (though it translates with group health, Medicare, and most other products):

Hi, how are you today? I'm glad/sorry to hear that. I'm calling you because I'm helping people cover 100% of the cost of their funeral and other final expenses. Is that something you would like to learn more about?

Yes, you're still going to get most people saying to eat dirt and die, but the reality is it's a much cleaner approach (you should be able to feel comfortable saying it) and if they have an interest, they'll be able to respond positively to it. The other advantage to this is that if they say yes, they probably are very interested.

To take a look at another point, the purpose of cold calling isn't to generate interest, it's to find a spark of interest and grow it. Most of the people you call aren't going to want to buy life insurance, if they did want to, they'd buy it. That said, some of them may be looking for a way to cover the cost of their funeral and not understand how easily a FE policy can cover it. That's why the SS death benefit cards do as well as they do, while it may not list life insurance on it, the cards do get responders that are concerned with their funeral costs which is how you can tell you have a prospect for life insurance.

The second (and less damaging) challenge agents have is asking for people by name. After trial and error I've found my telemarketers always did better for me by just pitching whoever answers the phone. This let's you avoid mispronouncing their name, asking for the wife when the husband is answering, and a list of other problems that come from disjointing the conversation right off the bat. On this point it can be a matter of preference, some folks that consistently buy lists from me insist on getting first names because they call specifically looking for that person. That tends to have more to do with the T65 and business lists than FE or most others.

If you'd like more tips and help feel free to visit Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone!.

Good luck!

Josh I know you think "How are you today works" but it is not something I would use.

Josh I know you think "How are you today works" but it is not something I would use.

What I'm suggesting is based off of hundreds of thousands of calls in multiple states. There are folks that think it's disingenuous and perhaps it is, but for most people it's just a way of saying hello.

----------

Yep, that's code for, "I'm a telemarketer".

There is no reason to be hiding the fact.

The good 'ol "Hi, how are you today? I'm glad/sorry to hear that" can be added to your two other statements that just waste time and/or annoy (introducing themselves and using the other persons name).

Everything else about your post is excellent information as usual.

The good 'ol "Hi, how are you today? I'm glad/sorry to hear that" can be added to your two other statements that just waste time and/or annoy (introducing themselves and using the other persons name).

Everything else about your post is excellent information as usual.

For some reason it's worked better than not using it. I think it's because it does give them the chance to respond before you start pitching them and it lets them prep for a sales pitch.

Always worth trying it different ways to see what works best for you and in your area, but as a rule that's what I've seen work across many areas.

Believe me, I've tried all the ways imaginable. The best way, in my opinion, is getting to the point of the call as soon as possible and eliminating the unnecessary banter and chit chat. This isn't a time to try to build rapport. There will be plenty of time for that later should they show a glimmer of interest.

The hi, how are you/good morning, etc open is fine door to door though as they can actually see your face but over the phone it's often regarded as disingenuous.

I agree with Josh, telemarketer/appt setting and sales has to be interactive. This week alone we have said " how are you today" for 1300 man hours, and josh is right, it does work better than not, but hey I willing to hear a better script or idea from the telemarketing experts.

----------

I agree with Josh, telemarketer/appt setting and sales has to be interactive. This week alone we have said " how are you today" for 1300 man hours, and josh is right, it does work better than not, but hey I willing to hear a better script or idea from the telemarketing experts.

Just to add something, if you pure cold calling (to create leads) then I would agree with pcb get to the meat and it is strictly numbers, if appt setting then I would agree with josh on the "how ya doin" part.

First, cold calling is a grind. Second, the more uncomfortable you are, the worse it's going to hurt.

I've had up to 20 telemarketers at time working for me and both ran the appointments myself and had other agents run them. The most successful week for any agent running leads I had generated for them using telemarketers wrote around $9k in premium (final expense). That was the highest and I'm cherry picking stats here, but it is viable. There are a good number of folks that fail with it too and that shouldn't be discounted.

The two biggest things I see folks do that puts them at a disadvantage are introducing themselves and using the other persons name. If you're running lead cards that can be different, but it usually amounts to wasting time (which lowers your odds of success) when you're gold calling.

First, let's talk about introducing yourself. If I were to call you and say

How would you respond? You're eyes would probably glaze over and you'd be annoyed because I just talked at you using what might be a good advertising piece, probably not a convincing telephone script.

What if I took a different (and much shorter approach)?

The reality is that you don't care who I'm with or what my name is, you want to know why I'm bothering you and what I'm trying to sell you. The sooner I can get that out the less time you have to spend being annoyed waiting for me to get to the point.

To put this in final expense terms (though it translates with group health, Medicare, and most other products):

Yes, you're still going to get most people saying to eat dirt and die, but the reality is it's a much cleaner approach (you should be able to feel comfortable saying it) and if they have an interest, they'll be able to respond positively to it. The other advantage to this is that if they say yes, they probably are very interested.

To take a look at another point, the purpose of cold calling isn't to generate interest, it's to find a spark of interest and grow it. Most of the people you call aren't going to want to buy life insurance, if they did want to, they'd buy it. That said, some of them may be looking for a way to cover the cost of their funeral and not understand how easily a FE policy can cover it. That's why the SS death benefit cards do as well as they do, while it may not list life insurance on it, the cards do get responders that are concerned with their funeral costs which is how you can tell you have a prospect for life insurance.

The second (and less damaging) challenge agents have is asking for people by name. After trial and error I've found my telemarketers always did better for me by just pitching whoever answers the phone. This let's you avoid mispronouncing their name, asking for the wife when the husband is answering, and a list of other problems that come from disjointing the conversation right off the bat. On this point it can be a matter of preference, some folks that consistently buy lists from me insist on getting first names because they call specifically looking for that person. That tends to have more to do with the T65 and business lists than FE or most others.

If you'd like more tips and help feel free to visit Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone!.

Good luck!

I hate saying, "hello Mrs. _______" and it's a man...or "hello Mr._______ " and it's a woman! :twitchy:

Back