Thinking About A Career Change...

rain6460

Hello Everyone,
Just joined the forum about 3 minutes ago, and am as "Green" about the insurance business as a person could possibly be. I've spent the past thirty years in the bread business, working for Wonder Bread and Hostess Cakes...which went out of business on the 16th of November.

I recently posted my resume on Monster, and received a response from a local branch of Farmers Insurance here in Roseville Ca.. They said they were interested in me because of my sales background. I have been seriously considering a career change, so I responded and have a meeting set up to speak with someone in a couple of days.

In the meantime I went online and Googled info about becoming an agent with Farmers, and was utterly shocked by the overwhelming amount of negative feedback I saw. It seemed like every link I clicked was either a warning to avoid them, or someone's personal horror story about their experience with the company.

Anyway, I was pretty excited at first about the prospect of a new career in this industry...but now I'm considering cancelling the appointment I have on Friday with the Farmers rep., and just forgetting the whole thing!

Anyway, I know better than to believe everything I read, especially on the internet. But when you're hearing some of the same complaints from multiple sources, welllll...that's why I'm here. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Insurance is a great industry I think Farmers is not the place to be. The main qualification required by Farmers is to be breathing.

Last edited:
If you want to succeed in this business Banker's Life and Casualty is the place to go. They're the best of the best.

Last edited:
I you want to succeed in this business Banker's Life and Casualty is the place to go. They're the best of the best.

As someone who mined this forum for sometime before joining there are plenty of posts on here that suggest otherwise. Find the search button and make it your friend.

Don't let one certain post sway your thoughts. Take it all in and then make your own decisions about which path you take.

FE4U said:
As someone who mined this forum for sometime before joining there are plenty of posts on here that suggest otherwise. Find the search button and make it your friend.

Don't let one certain post sway your thoughts. Take it all in and then make your own decisions about which path you take.

Bankers avoid. Go independent with Oxford Life and Americo for life. Find good cos for Medd Supp. Of course a license is first

Bankers avoid. Go independent with Oxford Life and Americo for life. Find good cos for Medd Supp. Of course a license is first

I agree, however if you are new you might want to find a good captive company or IMO who will give you the training and support to get started.

FE4U said:
I agree, however if you are new you might want to find a good captive company or IMO who will give you the training and support to get started.

Good IMO would be great

Hey Guys...
I appreciate the responses to my post, but I have to tell you, I don't understand the language you're all speaking yet...captive companies, imo's...I don't have a clue what these terms mean.

I would like to find a company that does business in the Sacramento, Ca. area, that's willing to give me the training I need to learn the business, get licensed, and earn a decent living.

The stories I've read about Farmers are just horrid! I can't post a url yet on this forum because I'm new, but one story in particular blew my mind, and I'm curious if the guy could actually be telling the truth. Is Farmer's really that bad? This wasn't the only negative article I read on Farmers, but it was by far the worst. If you go to "articlebase" dot com, and just type into the search bar "Farmers insurance agent" it should be the first result. The name of the article is..."One Farmers Insurance Agents Experience." Written by Mr. Pickles. Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
Back