Thinking of changing careers

cathead

Have been a lumber salesman for eight years, we all know where that line of work has went too. I have read some threads and some of people really like the L&H, but I feel like I would be better suited for P/C? Will the internet take over the "Insurance Agent" in the future? I live in IN 10 min from louisville, KY is this a good state to sell insurance? Should I try to get licenses in both IN and KY? Thanks for any good advice

Steve

Have been a lumber salesman for eight years, we all know where that line of work has went too. I have read some threads and some of people really like the L&H, but I feel like I would be better suited for P/C? Will the internet take over the "Insurance Agent" in the future? I live in IN 10 min from louisville, KY is this a good state to sell insurance? Should I try to get licenses in both IN and KY? Thanks for any good advice. Steve

You will definitely want to work both states is my guess.

Why does so many people dislike p/c?

I wouldn't say that we "dislike" P&C. Simply put, it's harder for an independent agent to get into P&C than Life and Health, due to the cost of the E&O, having to have a retail storefront/office, the stringent appointment requirements of most carriers, etc. All of us would like to offer products that individuals are required to buy (i.e. Homeowners, Liability Automotive Insurance), but, that is contrasted with the smaller commissions that P&C products pay, at least initially.

Anyway, thats my opinion.

Dave

Who dislikes p/c? This is just a health insurance sales heavy board.
That and health agents just have more time on their hands to post and are more likely to post all day, every day.

It's health insurance heavy because we can make great money without killing ourselves. You won't find too many P&C agents here - they're busy working twice as hard to make half:-)

For P&C, probably 450.00/month, at least. Not to mention, if you are a freshly minted agent, it will be practically impossible for you to get a company.

I tried to break into P&C once, and nobody would even consider giving me an appointment, until I had spent some time (i.e. 3-5 years) in an agency. Which, I couldn't do, because I'm unwilling to give up my business. The only possible way you could do it, would be to go through an aggregate, like Potter Group, but, it has its drawbacks, too.

Good Luck,

Dave

Back