Thinking of Going Indy Due to Health Problems

Anderson

This is going to be a little long so please bear with me. I have been in sales all my life. I was in construction and decided to leave due to a dispute with the company. I had decided that I wanted to work in insurance and had my health and life license. I went to NYL just as the economy sunk. (Bad timing). I sold enough life to barely pay my bills and left NYL due to not making quota. Found another job and my health started to decline. Was finally diagnosed and have been working with drs to keep me working. I was hired by a major P&C company with a new agent. My sales have been solid. There was a major learning curve but have been selling 45 policies a month with the agent buying internet leads. After probation period I told agent about health problems. Agent was very understanding but I've just been off sick again for 2 days and have the feeling the axe is coming. My question is: I now work about 49 hrs a week and am paid a salary of $2000 a month plus about 350 a month bonus. Most of my sales are outside the office since I offer to go to the client. Clients love this. I would love to be indy but the only working capital I would have is unemployment. What type of income do you think is reasonable? I'm looking at P&C and life. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Is the OP still here? Does anyone have any updates? I know I’m ten years late but I am hoping someone knows something about this.
Sorry for the late bump.

Is the OP still here? Does anyone have any updates? I know I’m ten years late but I am hoping someone knows something about this.
Sorry for the late bump.

What was the question? How much can an independent insurance agent make?

It’s not uncommon to make six figures. It’s not uncommon to make less than minimum wage. It’s too broad of a question. Guys who work their ass off make great money if they don’t do dumb stuff like commit to an agency that has no path to making sales.

I’m not sure how he planned to keep his disability check going when he started making money selling insurance though. Seemed like a flawed plan.

I tend to agree with your lack of confidence in the plan but it did have something that’s usually absent from the ridiculous ones. That being an actual person. I could be wrong...wouldn’t be the first time.

Carry on

Strange though...if he was closing 45 P&C a month, enough to be bonused, why was “the axe” coming? Unless he was burning through thousands of leads per month to close 45.

Strange though...if he was closing 45 P&C a month, enough to be bonused, why was “the axe” coming? Unless he was burning through thousands of leads per month to close 45.

I don’t know what to make of that either. I’d pay someone the same amount to close 45 monthly regardless of how many hours they worked to get it. The hours or sick days would be irrelevant to me if the production was there.

Back