This Is A New One on Me

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
I have a married couple. We got Life Insurance on her, and now are pursuing Life Insurance for him. Here is the twist. He changed his last name to hers recently (as in within the past two weeks).

In all of my 18 years, I've never heard of the husband changing his last name to hers.

How do I handle the application with him? Do we do it under his first last name, or is everything now under his new last name?

Any help would be appreciated.

:err:

I have a married couple. We got Life Insurance on her, and now are pursuing Life Insurance for him. Here is the twist. He changed his last name to hers recently (as in within the past two weeks).

In all of my 18 years, I've never heard of the husband changing his last name to hers.

How do I handle the application with him? Do we do it under his first last name, or is everything now under his new last name?

I actually have a couple of friends who have done that. It's definitely getting more popular. As for how to write it, it's the same as if she changed her last name. I'd submit it under the new last name with a copy of the legal name change paperwork.

You have to follow whatever their legal name is at the time of the application. I get more complicated cases when they have a green card in one name and a drivers license in another name. Those are harder to sort out.

Well in the case of my friends, it was actually because the wives had more unique last names. Robbins changed to Schendell and Rogers to Deleon.

My girlfriend brought this up one time and suggested it. I think it was a joke, but who knows. I told her if she ever considers such a dumb idea again I'd be out of the door.

It will be as big a deal as you make it.

Most apps have a notes section or you can attach notes. Just list the name change information for underwriting and you're fine. Just as you would do with any situation where you think the underwriter might be thrown.

Isn't this a question that really only needs to be asked to the company you're applying with? Does any other answer really matter?

Back