This is HARD

chad2192

Hi everyone,

Just graduated college with a degree in music education but looking to jump into insurance because I am driven and would like to make a lot of money...and it seems insurance, specifically life insurance could offer that if I work very hard.

After applying to dozens of different jobs through indeed, careerbuilder, glassdoor etc. my phone has been ringing non-stop with "offers".

I've had an interview with Colonial Life, went to a presentation with Banker's Life, and have heard a dozen responses from this group called Symmetry Financial.

I'm just lost.

All these places make great claims. I was really impressed with the Banker's Life presentation but after doing some digging it seems that it has some pretty sketchy practices and now I'm unsure.

Starting out it seems like working as a captive agent with one of these places would be a good opportunity to get started and receive some basic training. I don't have my license yet as I was waiting to agree to an offer before committing. I tried to search the forums but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

1) What are some great companies to get started with?
2) Are all these places like Banker's Life and Symmetry Financial just massive hiring schemes to "see what sticks" after hiring tons of people?
3) Is selling life insurance the business of screwing people over as my friends seem to think?

Any help would be so appreciated.

Cliffs:
- Just graduated
- Life insurance looks interesting to make $
- Banker's Life, Symmetry Financial, Colonial Life?
- Lost, to much information out there

If it's life insurance you are interested in going into, then the MOST important question is, how good are you at selling? Are you persuasive, persistent, and able to explain complex and expensive products clearly?

Companies don't matter; mentors and managers are what matters.

2) Are all these places like Banker's Life and Symmetry Financial just massive hiring schemes to "see what sticks" after hiring tons of people?

Often, that is the case.

3) Is selling life insurance the business of screwing people over as my friends seem to think?

Show me your friends insurance licenses and other credentials that show that they have a thorough understanding of life insurance... and then they *might* have some credibility.

Here's a thread I did about Suze Orman's "advice" about a variable life insurance policy - and SHE has (had?) a CFP certification and insurance licensing.
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/be-wary-of-advice-from-financial-entertainers.92316/

Did you read my "sticky" thread at the top of the Getting Started forum? It's 7 years old, but I think it's still just as valid, and I have continuously updated it:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

If it's life insurance you are interested in going into, then the MOST important question is, how good are you at selling? Are you persuasive, persistent, and able to explain complex and expensive products clearly?
Yes, I have a background in teaching so the people part of selling insurance would not be a problem.

The manager at the Banker's Life seemed great on first impression, really liked his personality and drive.

Show me your friends insurance licenses and other credentials that show that they have a thorough understanding of life insurance... and then they *might* have some credibility.

Here's a thread I did about Suze Orman's "advice" about a variable life insurance policy - and SHE has (had?) a CFP certification and insurance licensing.
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/be-wary-of-advice-from-financial-entertainers.92316/

Did you read my "sticky" thread at the top of the Getting Started forum? It's 7 years old, but I think it's still just as valid, and I have continuously updated it:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

Often, that is the case.

The manager at the branch of Banker's Life that I went to I liked a lot. He had a drive and energy that seemed infectious.

And you're right about the friend thing, that wasn't going to deter me anyways.

And I'm in the process of reading your post now, thank you!

Take a day or two and do some research here on the forum... priceless

For every manager you speak to... talk to 2 in the field agents... For instance... if you wanted to work at Walmart who do you think would have the best perspective of the job... the manager who needs someone to help him or the guy on the floor punching the clock each day?

Hi everyone,

Just graduated college with a degree in music education but looking to jump into insurance because I am driven and would like to make a lot of money...and it seems insurance, specifically life insurance could offer that if I work very hard.

After applying to dozens of different jobs through indeed, careerbuilder, glassdoor etc. my phone has been ringing non-stop with "offers".

I've had an interview with Colonial Life, went to a presentation with Banker's Life, and have heard a dozen responses from this group called Symmetry Financial.

I'm just lost.

All these places make great claims. I was really impressed with the Banker's Life presentation but after doing some digging it seems that it has some pretty sketchy practices and now I'm unsure.

Starting out it seems like working as a captive agent with one of these places would be a good opportunity to get started and receive some basic training. I don't have my license yet as I was waiting to agree to an offer before committing. I tried to search the forums but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Cliffs:
- Just graduated
- Life insurance looks interesting to make $
- Banker's Life, Symmetry Financial, Colonial Life?
- Lost, to much information out there

Yes, I have a background in teaching so the people part of selling insurance would not be a problem.

Usually, in a classroom, you are dealing with people that have chosen to come to that class and be educated. When you are calling on a lead, you may not be dealing with the same scenario. Your experience in teaching will translate over, but not completely.

Back