This is Nuts, or is It Just Me?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Submitted joint app to Aetna a few days ago. Wife, T65, 10/1 eff date.

Husband 71, on MA, wants to change to Medigap.

Husband called today wanting to know where wifes policy was. She has doc appointment Monday.

No, I didn't say we wouldn't have this problem if you had let me take an application 2 weeks ago when we first talked. And no, I didn't remind him that he was going to get back to me last Friday with their decision.

But I digress.

Aetna did tel interview with husband yesterday. Called agent services. Was told she would be approved but they were holding it up until underwriting was complete on him. Should be by Tuesday next week.

Why not issue her policy now?

We don't do it that way. If he is approved they both get the HH discount.

Even though his coverage isn't effective for 3 more months?

Yes.

Could have sworn I had seen something in Aetna literature indicating no discount on first policy until 2nd one goes into effect.

Submitted joint app to Aetna a few days ago. Wife, T65, 10/1 eff date.

Husband 71, on MA, wants to change to Medigap.

Husband called today wanting to know where wifes policy was. She has doc appointment Monday.

No, I didn't say we wouldn't have this problem if you had let me take an application 2 weeks ago when we first talked. And no, I didn't remind him that he was going to get back to me last Friday with their decision.

But I digress.

Aetna did tel interview with husband yesterday. Called agent services. Was told she would be approved but they were holding it up until underwriting was complete on him. Should be by Tuesday next week.

Why not issue her policy now?

We don't do it that way. If he is approved they both get the HH discount.

Even though his coverage isn't effective for 3 more months?

Yes.

Could have sworn I had seen something in Aetna literature indicating no discount on first policy until 2nd one goes into effect.

That's the way it was before they discontinued ACI and had the 5% HHD. His would get the HHD from day one and hers would be adjusted the following month after his went into effect. I believe Wes said they've changed it now to where the HHD goes into effect from the start on both.

That doesn't make sense. Can't they give her a policy # now?

If you have to, redo it without the HHD and when his goes into effect, they have a form you can fill out for the HHD.

Last edited:
Submitted joint app to Aetna a few days ago. Wife, T65, 10/1 eff date. Husband 71, on MA, wants to change to Medigap. Husband called today wanting to know where wifes policy was. She has doc appointment Monday. No, I didn't say we wouldn't have this problem if you had let me take an application 2 weeks ago when we first talked. And no, I didn't remind him that he was going to get back to me last Friday with their decision. But I digress. Aetna did tel interview with husband yesterday. Called agent services. Was told she would be approved but they were holding it up until underwriting was complete on him. Should be by Tuesday next week. Why not issue her policy now? We don't do it that way. If he is approved they both get the HH discount. Even though his coverage isn't effective for 3 more months? Yes. Could have sworn I had seen something in Aetna literature indicating no discount on first policy until 2nd one goes into effect.
If a dual application is submitted they do wait and issue the first approved after the decision is made on the second. But they issue a policy number immediately at time of app submission, and the approved but not issued client can give that number along with their verification of benefits phone number to any healthcare providers. The effective date will be the date that was requested on the application

OK, thx Wes.

Just figured they would issue wife's policy then work on husband when there wasn't a crunch.

I can only reference that last part of your question. On 8/19 i submitted an a t65 for a 1/1/16 eff date, then went back to the lady's home a few weeks later and wrote her mother (age 80) for a 10/15 eff date. They gave her mother the HH discount, even thought the intial policy is not in effect yet (the initial policy did not submit 1st pmt with the app).

You wrote 2 apps. I submitted a joint app.

Also the T65 was approved but not in effect. I suppose they would take away the HH discount from mom if daughter changed her mind and cancelled before 1/1.

Just seems an odd way of doing things.

Back