Thrown Out of a DSNPs Home

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
I'm a relatively new independent agent (was captive at a call center for a while) and haven't had much success with the T65 MA market. I decided to try the DSNP market, did a mailer and have received a good response so far.

Earlier this week I went to a beneficiary's apartment in a low-income neighborhood. On the phone a couple of days earlier I sensed that she was a little "off," but I went on the appointment. Right away she began telling me that she had mental problems, ADHD, etc. She wanted the plan that her neighbor has as it's a very strong plan, etc. I told her I needed to confirm what level of Medicaid she has before I could determine if this plan would be accepted by her hospital, doctors, etc. I called to check her eligibility and learned that she's only partial Medicaid so this plan wouldn't accept her. When I told her this, she went berserk, screaming, cursing, turning red in the face, etc before ordering me out as I had "upset her, like everyone else!" I was stunned and scared (I'm female) and tried calming her down, to no avail. She told me to get out, before she went crazy!

As I hurried out and and started down the street, she then began apologizing profusely then told me she had a rottweiler in her bedroom who she had rescued off the street two weeks before.

Lesson learned: I need to create a checklist of questions to ask before I go out in the field to check their Medicaid status, what hospital, drs they go to, etc. If they are partial then I'll ask them to apply for full Medicaid and let me know if they get so I don't waste my time again. There are several SNPs in my area but this one is very benefits rich.

Selling Med Supps by phone and doing educational seminars are sounding really good after that episode.

I guess I will start the reply platitudes you can expect here.
It's good to get your nose bloodied early so you know you can take it.
You've got to kiss a lot of frogs to meet one prince.
And of course, "that's why we get the big bucks"

I lost a sale when I complimented a prospect's appearance and her daughter thought I was coming on to her.

There's another thread about how fickle dual eligibles and LIS clients are you might want to browse.

Hang in and good luck!

Thanks. I've done a little final expense and had a few weird experiences (followed by feral cats, a dirty old guy who wanted me to come back when his wife wasn't home, etc). I just bought some final expense TM leads and listening to them is funny... Some people don't realize it's a computer voice and they try talking to her at the end of the call. Will deal with that on Monday.

Lady tossed enrollment kit at my faced and screamed "get her" to her son who just up and jumped out of his power chair(guess he was not crippled after all) I pushed past him and ran down the hallway.

Lady tossed enrollment kit at my faced and screamed "get her" to her son who just up and jumped out of his power chair(guess he was not crippled after all) I pushed past him and ran down the hallway.

Are you packing? .

Never had a need to pack until now, as I live in a nice suburb. But now that I'm visiting folks in the outlying inner cities I'm getting pepper spray or a stun gun.

Back