TN and Applying for Medicaid

windi

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ok, so I've got a couple of clients who most likely qualify for full Medicaid, or at least QMB. I'm in TN.

From all my research, it seems the only way to apply for Medicaid is to call the Marketplace, put in an application and have them send it onward to those who determine MSP's.

Am I wrong in this? I did this for a lady a couple of months ago, and the rep on the marketplace was confused. She kept saying "this person doesn't qualify for subsidies or insurance because of her age, it'll just get sent to tn for medicaid". I explained to her that that's what I've been told to do.

I haven't heard a thing back about the application, or whether or not she qualified or anything, which makes me think something went wrong along the way.

I've searched and searched...is there ANY way, besides the marketplace to apply for Medicaid in TN? Am I missing something???

If they are on Medicare already you don't have to go through the marketplace. Did someone at Tenncare tell you that you had to? If so, that is news to me.

Have they already applied for extra help with prescriptions? SHIP can help them. (877) 801-0044.

Last edited:
It is different for Medicare beneficiaries. What you referenced is non-Medicare.

OP, on the second link above, click on it, then the "help with medicare costs" tab. It will refer you to the number for SHIP (which I noted above). There is also a paper form you can download and fill out with the person to apply for the MSP, which is what QMB, SLMB, etc is.

Do not attempt to go through the marketplace for Medicare eligible people, it will just go into a black hole.

Back