To be successful in selling life insurance

Brandon 8676

Expert
I think it is important to have excellent social skills and an extrovert personality. Where I messed up was taking the job with my poor social skills. I was always nervous around people before, so in hindsight I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to take the job. To me, it seems counterproductive for introverted personalities to attempt this business. Experience with public speaking would likely also benefit a prospective individual considering getting into life insurance Sales. When I gave up, I had to look at myself and evaluate whether my skills were sufficient, and they were not. I rushed into it without thinking when I got the call for the interview. Now in hindsight, I realize I probably shouldn’t have taken it to start with. I have now turned the suit and tie in and am replacing it with steel toes and gloves. Going back to a steel plant.

I think it is important to have excellent social skills and an extrovert personality. Where I messed up was taking the job with my poor social skills. I was always nervous around people before, so in hindsight I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to take the job. To me, it seems counterproductive for introverted personalities to attempt this business. Experience with public speaking would likely also benefit a prospective individual considering getting into life insurance Sales. When I gave up, I had to look at myself and evaluate whether my skills were sufficient, and they were not. I rushed into it without thinking when I got the call for the interview. Now in hindsight, I realize I probably shouldn’t have taken it to start with. I have now turned the suit and tie in and am replacing it with steel toes and gloves. Going back to a steel plant.

Need an Accidental Death policy?

I am pretty introverted and spend a lot of time alone. When I do deal with people, I am loud, offensive, tackles, and routinely offend people.

I do however have a lot of skills that make me ideal for this business. Especially dealing with business owners and talking about the bottom line.

Honestly, if I were to work at a steel plant, I'd probably end up cutting my arm off or burning the place down somehow.

To me, it seems counterproductive for introverted personalities to attempt this business.

The best people in our business... consider themselves introverts and have other issues.

Ben Feldman - THE Ben Feldman - once spoke to the MDRT from behind a curtain because of how shy he was. He also spoke with a lisp. He set world records of selling life insurance.

Van Mueller claims to be an introvert. He sells millions per year as well. He'll tell you that he had to LEARN how to do this at his level. He failed for 16 years before he finally got his head on right.

Mehdi Fakharzadeh is considered the #1 life insurance agent today (I'm reasonably sure he's still alive at age 96!). He has a THICK accent... and didn't know much English... but is still a great agent and advisor.

Introverts are actually BETTER in sales because they care about how they are perceived and how people are taken care of.

Introverts typically aren't attracted to or succeed in the "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" kind of sales. I think the kind of insurance you were selling (supplemental coverage) doesn't lend well to an introvert. I know - been there, done that myself.

If you truly want to learn this business, you can learn it over time, if you give yourself time. It can be done... if you want it.

The thing you learn in this business is if you work, there will be a market for you. We are a bunch of different personalities finding people out there that want and actually appreciate our help.

There are times you run across an agent and think "how in the hell does that guy do any business?" Thing is he's thinking the same about you. Ya just have to keep at it and consider it a marathon, don't let individual miles get you too up or down, just keep moving.

I'm a natural introvert and I'm not a aggressive sales person, but I've been licensed for three years selling life and health. Instead of reciting a script I LISTEN to the prospect and ask questions. They become clients when I find solutions to thier problems. There are no objections to overcome, referrals are given without asking, clients call to set appointments.

I FEAR public speaking but I do seminars at public libraries, churches, senior centers, etc It has been the most efficient and cheapest way to get in front of people. Started out with only 1 or 2 people attending and slowly have developed to presenting to over 90 attendees.

This summer I opened an office at a strip mall and have developed a team of 13 agents. Not bad for a 3rd year introvert agent.

Everyone has a unique personally and requires a different approach. One of our agents loves to walk and door knock industrial businesses but will not pick up the phone to cold call and we have another agent loves working the phones.

Work your strengths and keep working. Believe me it gets easier.

There is no shame in doing honest work with your hands. Our society needs good people working in industry as much as we need those in professional endeavors. That being said, the problem isn't in your introverted personality. As everybody in this thread has said, introverts can be great agents! The problem could be, as @DHK pointed out, the niche in which you've been working. But I also get the sense that fear may be your real enemy. You don't believe you can do it, so you don't. The best way to overcome fear is the Nike approach: JUST DO IT! Pick up the phone and dial, even when you REALLY don't want to, or knock on that first door. Then JUST DO IT again!

I'm a basic introvert who's been in this business for nearly 3 decades. I still have days or even weeks where I have to JUST DO IT. But once I get started, it gets easier after that.

Here are a couple of appropriate Ziglar quotes:
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

Brandon, I would like to ask you to consider doing something. I know that financial difficulties can make calm decision making very difficult. I would ask you to consider keeping your insurance license at this time. And then work 6-12 months-whatever is necessary to get your bills caught back up and rebuild a bit of a financial reserve. And then come back to insurance vs steel plant vs whatever when you are not being driven to decision by desperation. I will just say that knowing you have failed at something because of fear can become a heavy burden over a span of 30-40-50 years.

Best wishes for wisdom in your choices and grace in your life.

Back