To leave a message or not

tjevans

I'm new to the insurance business, and to selling, in general, with less than six months experience under my belt. I'm still working in my natural market, and I wonder what everyone's opinion is on leaving voicemail messages when you call someone and they are unavailable.

I've read both to do it, because "it's the professional thing to do," and to not do it, because people will then avoid calls from you (especially if they have caller ID).

I normally do not leave a message unless I've made several calls already and have been unable to get in touch.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

tjevans said:
I'm new to the insurance business, and to selling, in general, with less than six months experience under my belt. I'm still working in my natural market, and I wonder what everyone's opinion is on leaving voicemail messages when you call someone and they are unavailable.

I've read both to do it, because "it's the professional thing to do," and to not do it, because people will then avoid calls from you (especially if they have caller ID).

I normally do not leave a message unless I've made several calls already and have been unable to get in touch.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I can only tell you what has worked for me. I ALWAYS leave a message at least once. I know some orgs will tell you to not leave a message (NAA) but I feel if you truly believe in what you have to offer the client then you shouldn't be worried about them not returning or not picking up your call because they know it's you.

Think of it as leaving your business card with them.

This is how I leave my messages (for internet leads): "Hello, this message is for (client name). My name is Joseph and I'm calling you in regards to your request for health insurance quote from the internet. I'd like to set up a time when we can talk either by phone or in person about the plans, options, and prices that you qualify for. If this sounds good to you, you can reach me at xxx-xxxx. I appreciate your time and I'll try to touch bases with you later. Have a nice day."

Simple but effective. People WILL call back or at least they know you are trying to earn their business. Then I hit them with an e-mail, flyer, another phone call, and sometimes another flyer. I always call each lead 6 times before giving up on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Back