To stay independent or do I...

msinsagent

Good afternoon all this will be my first post, however I have been reading on this forum for the past several months, first off let me tell you guys a little about myself

I am a 32 year old male, I specialize in life insurance, annuties, LTC, Med supps and Medicare Advantage. I have been an independent agent for since 2003, I am from the Memphis,TN area.

I have recently been approached by an old friend if I would be interested in being a branch manager for Senior Solutions. My position would involve no selling, just the typical managerial and recruiting aspects. I have already interviewed with district and regional officers, and told them If I accept I will not cancel my current companies and lose my book of business and residual income. They have given me in writing they will accept that request.

So, give me your thoughts.

You have been independent for 5 years. That is enough time to get "over the hump" and prove you can make it.

What is drawing you into the world of working for someone else?

I had a similar deal offered to me, but...

I was allowed to keep my appts and book of business but I had to write any new business with the the UA companies. Though I didn't have to sell, I had to find people to sell for me so I could have an income. They offer startup money and incentives but it is all against future commissions, ect. I didnt take any of their money because of the strings attached.

I did have an agreement to be released if I decided it wasnt for me, it wasn't and I was immediately released. I then was able to immediately be appt to one of their MA companies through an FMO with no problems.

Unless you are going to work in an established office that is fairly busy and successfull, I assume you are being sold on starting your own office. Their system is MLM and the commissions are not as high as you are used to.

Well the office that would be mine, already has nine agents working out if it. Something else I must consider, any advantages to being a w-2 over a 1099? Since If I accepted I would become a w-2. I have not made a decision yet just weighing the pros and cons of both sides.

I interviewed with Senior Solutions in Greenville. I do not know if it was the same outfit, but I think they operate in other cities.

I was not impressed with the organization. They did preset appointments and you paid $15 for an appointment and $30 if you sold anything to the telemarketer. The commissions were pretty low too. From an agent standpoint, it was not a good situation. As a recruiter, it might not be as bad.

I gave up a very good job making a whole lot more than I made my first two years selling insurance just to put me back in control of my own destiny.

I don't enjoy playing with others and putting up with their silly, stupid games. Let me rephrase that, I don't play well with others, period.

Now, no one "owns" me, well if you don't count Jacqueline, my much better half.

I could NEVER go back to being a "team" player. I have my own "team" now consists of ME, ME and ME. I come and go as I please and, the truth be known, I probably work a lot harder and longer than I would if I was somebody's "butt boy". Yea, in a structured environment you will be somebody's butt boy.

I don't care what level you are at, you are still going to have to answer to someone and have some incompetent SOB looking over your shoulder telling you a bunch of crap. He most likely will not have a clue what he is talking about but that doesn't matter because he is "in charge".

Do you really want to go back to being "owned"?

I gave up a very good job making a whole lot more than I made my first two years selling insurance just to put me back in control of my own destiny.

I don't enjoy playing with others and putting up with their silly, stupid games. Let me rephrase that, I don't play well with others, period.

Now, no one "owns" me, well if you don't count Jacqueline, my much better half.

I could NEVER go back to being a "team" player. I have my own "team" now consists of ME, ME and ME. I come and go as I please and, the truth be known, I probably work a lot harder and longer than I would if I was somebody's "butt boy". Yea, in a structured environment you will be somebody's butt boy.

I don't care what level you are at, you are still going to have to answer to someone and have some incompetent SOB looking over your shoulder telling you a bunch of crap. He most likely will not have a clue what he is talking about but that doesn't matter because he is "in charge".

Do you really want to go back to being "owned"?

Exactly.

It is real easy to have self doubt during a slow period. I burned up monster.com for a while when I first got into the insurance business. It takes time to become 'independent' rather than 'co-dependent', but once that happens you are no good to anyone but yourself ;)

I got started in this business unforunately with United American, so I have worked in the "corporate branch side". I built a team of 20-25 agents under me, and I was the top unit manager in region, I was making 3-4K everyweek in just overrides. Then I discovered I was doing more harm than good to my clients and I saw the error of my ways and went Independent.

I must decide is being a "branch manager" worth giving up my freedom. Thanks again guys!

Back