To What Extent Will Credit History Be a Barrier to Appointment?

socalcraigster

I am in the process of obtaining my life/health and property/casuality licenses in California. However, I am concerned that my less than stellar credit will be a major barrier to getting appointed. I am just wondering to what extent bad credit (not paying/late) is an obstacle to getting appointed. I intend to resolve those deficiencies once I start to make some money.

It would be a major downer to pass the tests,pay the application fee to the state, pass their background check and then find no one will appoint me. Do all carriers require a credit check in order to gain appointment? Or is it relegated to certain products or areas of insurance?

I have already read some of the previous posts on the topic but I am more confused then ever.

I really would appreciate some advice on the topic before I proceed.

Thank You

Re: To What Extent Will Credit History Be a Barrier to Appointmen

usually it isnt a big deal, if there are chargeoffs or anything like that, they will probally make you pay them off,

A BK could be an issue depending on the carrier,

late pays generally arent a bog deal.

What line of insurance are you looking at getting into?
Credit is a huge factor in P&C and anything securities related.

It's less of a factor in life, health, medsupps, etc.

The hard part though is if you don't have money upfront, insurance is a VERY tough gig to get started in! If you have money, then the question becomes why aren't you paying your bills. In most lines of insurance, seeing any substantial paycheck in the first 4-6 months is very, very difficult. By substantial, I mean (outside of family and friends) writing enough business to cover the expenses of getting that business.

Dan

Talk to the Final Expense people. I know that United Healthcare would take a pass. You can start making money quickly.

I can get you appointed with everyone you just will need to write a letter of explanation. We can co-sign for your advances. But if you have 1 chargeback and don't repay you will be on as earned.

Back