Today was a bad day

Selling insurance face to face in people's homes has it's risks and it's rewards....today I encountered both.

If you sell insurance or enter people's homes for any reason as a matter of earning your living...you have encountered dirty homes. Today, I met the match for the worst home I have ever entered in my insurance career. Top 3 FOR SURE and I have been in well over 500 people's homes, houses, apartments, trailers, RV's, hotel rooms, and more. Today may upon further reflection become my #1 most disgusting home of all time.

I cannot and WILL NOT live in a home of any type overrun with bugs. 15 minutes in a home, 15 hours of trauma.

Hate F2F - phone / net / seminar only for me . . .

I’m so thankful that 99% of my clients come to my office. Usually, if I do an in home, it’s someone who is not physically capable of traveling to my office. I actually had a woman at Walmart last year that tried to tell me she didn’t have transportation and needed a home appointment and then got offended when I asked her how she got to Walmart. If I pull up somewhere and do not feel comfortable, I leave.

Selling insurance face to face in people's homes has it's risks and it's rewards....today I encountered both.

If you sell insurance or enter people's homes for any reason as a matter of earning your living...you have encountered dirty homes. Today, I met the match for the worst home I have ever entered in my insurance career. Top 3 FOR SURE and I have been in well over 500 people's homes, houses, apartments, trailers, RV's, hotel rooms, and more. Today may upon further reflection become my #1 most disgusting home of all time.

I cannot and WILL NOT live in a home of any type overrun with bugs. 15 minutes in a home, 15 hours of trauma.

What's even more ironic is when people travel around the world to do mission work in 3rd world countries but we forget that people live that way in our own communities. Of course living in filth while also having running water and electricity is still an upgrade compared to other parts of the world.

It's unfortunate. In the days when I sold more FE, seeing cockroaches became no surprise. Instead of pretending like I didn't see it, obviously the customer knows its there, so I'd just say something about it, like "it's so hard to get rid of those things, I bet you've tried everything" and then it wasn't as awkward anymore. Make's them a little more comfortable and less embarrassed, and maybe makes me more likable.

After leaving a home like that, I do tend to put my briefcase in my trunk, just in hopes none of those critters made their way into my bag and then into my car. There have been a couple appts over the years where I refused to sit down, and set my bag down.

With in home appointments you really get an eye-opening experience into how people really live. Some people just smoke everywhere, have cigarette butts and burns marks every where, some people are hoarders and have stacks of magazines from the 70s, you experience a lot of different smells, dogs that clearly haven't been bathed in years, possibly ever.

But yes, the absolute worst is bugs. One house I came in, sat down without really noticing anything. Proceeded with the appointment. At one point, I look down at my feet and notice a bug crawling by. Whatever, not that big of a deal. Then I look around on the floor and see multiple bugs crawling around. Then I swear to God it felt like something in a horror movie where I really look around and the walls are crawling with bugs. Tried to cut that appointment as short as possible. When I got home I stripped naked in the doorway, threw my clothes immediately in the washer and went straight to the shower.

Got the sale though.

That’s basically what happened to me. I didn’t notice it at first but, once I did....yes...the house was crawling. My skin still crawls she. I think about it. Sick that someone could be “at home” with an infestation of bugs. I got the sale, but that was my first appointment and I had several more that day. I was completely messed up all day.

With in home appointments you really get an eye-opening experience into how people really live. Some people just smoke everywhere, have cigarette butts and burns marks every where, some people are hoarders and have stacks of magazines from the 70s, you experience a lot of different smells, dogs that clearly haven't been bathed in years, possibly ever.

But yes, the absolute worst is bugs. One house I came in, sat down without really noticing anything. Proceeded with the appointment. At one point, I look down at my feet and notice a bug crawling by. Whatever, not that big of a deal. Then I look around on the floor and see multiple bugs crawling around. Then I swear to God it felt like something in a horror movie where I really look around and the walls are crawling with bugs. Tried to cut that appointment as short as possible. When I got home I stripped naked in the doorway, threw my clothes immediately in the washer and went straight to the shower.

Got the sale though.

It's a trade off. The exterminator, garbage service and vet fees are going for insurance.
The insurance product has a higher relative value.

Back