Tons of Info on SEO, Very Little About UX (user Experience). WHY?

I've learned a lot about SEO from reading this forum. But very little is mentioned about user experience (aka "UX").

I can learn everything about SEO, and getting ranked on page one on google is awesome! But what good does it do if all the traffic you achieve leaves your site without converting? I think SEO and UX are equally important.

So why is SEO so much more of a common term than UX? I figure they should run neck and neck against one another.

If someone wanted to learn SEO online, there is a plethora of great resources to educate yourself. But when it comes to UX, it seems the information is all scattered and unorganized compared to all of the resources available for SEO.

Do you guys and gals think I'm right or wrong about this? If someone could suggest an online resource to help me learn the basics of UX, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

I've learned a lot about SEO from reading this forum. But very little is mentioned about user experience (aka "UX").

I can learn everything about SEO, and getting ranked on page one on google is awesome! But what good does it do if all the traffic you achieve leaves your site without converting? I think SEO and UX are equally important.

So why is SEO so much more of a common term than UX? I figure they should run neck and neck against one another.

If someone wanted to learn SEO online, there is a plethora of great resources to educate yourself. But when it comes to UX, it seems the information is all scattered and unorganized compared to all of the resources available for SEO.

Do you guys and gals think I'm right or wrong about this? If someone could suggest an online resource to help me learn the basics of UX, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

A great place to start is always google....

but if you are too lazy here are some examples from google

Conversion Rate Optimization | SEOmoz YouMoz

http://www.quicksprout.com/2012/10/...00-on-conversion-rate-optimization-taught-me/

yougotmymoney, Ultimately yes. This is how it was explained to me by a friend who works for a web design company. You tell me if you agree or not.

UX tries to get into the psychology of a visitor's mind, and record data about what people like and what they do not about any given website that they visit.

I'd like to dive into that. But my problem is I don't know where to start. There are a few gems in google I'm sure but they are hidden between unorganized and scatterbrained "experts". I never had that trouble of googling basic SEO information.

Last edited:
Here is my thoughts on it, as long as you are converting at least 10% of your visitors into a lead, your good.....

Ex: One of my health ins site got 80 leads from 700 organic visitors, this month....so a conversion of 11.5%.....

An auto site got about 100 organic visitors, with 54% converting, granted this is an affiliate where its monetized via surehits/brokersweb ppc listing page... and not filling out a lead form.

The auto site made $300 in clicks, the health site about $400 in leads, point being the auto site made about the same amount of money, with only 1/7th the amount of traffic compared to the health ins site....

Now here is my point, it's all about ROI.....

Let's say you have a health site, and 1:10 visitors turns into a lead, and ur avg commish per yr is $300/deal, then each lead you get coming in, is worth $30.00 to you compared to 5-10 for an affiliate, so I would become an SEO master first before worrying about conversions AS LONG as you are getting a 10% conversion.

as long as you are converting at least 10% of your visitors into a lead, your good.....

When you say that, do you mean 10% of total traffic to the website or do you mean 10% of the traffic you can actually sell a policy to?

I get visitors from India, China, New York & California. Whether or not you count those probably make or break whether or not I pass your 10% test.

When you say that, do you mean 10% of total traffic to the website or do you mean 10% of the traffic you can actually sell a policy to?

I get visitors from India, China, New York & California. Whether or not you count those probably make or break whether or not I pass your 10% test.

I mean 10% of organic traffic, I don't count visitors outside the USA, or direct links, visitors from other websites (backlinks), or media searches (google image searches).

So, as an example I have a website that received 1015 visitors this month.

-962 were from the US.
-683 from organic search.
-192 from people directly putting the url into the address bar......iffy
-7 visitors from pages that linked to me.

Last edited:
yougotmymoney, Ultimately yes. This is how it was explained to me by a friend who works for a web design company. You tell me if you agree or not.

UX tries to get into the psychology of a visitor's mind, and record data about what people like and what they do not about any given website that they visit.

I'd like to dive into that. But my problem is I don't know where to start. There are a few gems in google I'm sure but they are hidden between unorganized and scatterbrained "experts". I never had that trouble of googling basic SEO information.

I think part of the reason you see so little focusing on user experience is because in our vertical overall traffic isn't that high. Just getting traffic at all is more than most agents do.

There are tons of ways to measure what users are doing on your site, my favorite is piwik, which is an open source program that does what clicky or google analytics do but shows you a lot more information. I can set it to track "goals" and have it trigger a goal being met when someone fills out the lead form and use that to establish my conversion rate.

It's also possible to make a heatmap which shows visitor mouse movement and clicks, but its not that useful of information without steady trackable traffic to AB test on.

I guess if you have 5000 visits a month, you'd be good off focusing a lot of time on User experience rather than SEO and traffic. When you have 10 a day, to me it seems best to use layouts known to convert at an average rate and focus time on building up more traffic instead of being as concerned with user experience.

Back