Tough Employment Decision

Thanks! And you're right, I'm 22. This is a huge decision because it puts me at a crossroads. Do I take the corporate path, or the agency path. Haven't heard back from the company yet, granted it's only been two or three days since I applied. The owners have known me for a while so hopefully they'll understand... Business is business.

Stay with agency, you can earn that extra $20,000 quickly. As an underwriting your earnings will have a cap.

The agency path you control your own destiny. You make what you are worth, and your own effort can return to you exponentially. Going the corporate route your growth financially, and professionally could be decreased and subject to someone else's control. If you are interested in sales, and working with clients, why consider underwriting? You need to figure out what drives you, and not just the immediate monetary impact. Make your decision based on what you like to do.

I like this advice.

Begin with the end in mind. I have to remind myself daily. It's quite difficult as a new agency and not a member of any cluster or aggregator. I could join one today if I wanted to, but the long-term implications are not something I'm willing to compromise on. If/when I join one, it will be one with terms I can live with, even if I have to bide my time doing things the hard way until I get a contract I want. Sure, it would be easy and satisfying in the short term to compromise, but I'm not going to do something that will leave me unhappy in 20 years.

See yourself in these two positions in 5, 10, 20 years. Which one gets you where you ULTIMATELY want to be?

Update: Didn't get an opportunity for an interview. It wasn't an entry level underwriting position. It doesn't hurt my feelings, however. Things are picking up rapidly at work & I'm loving it.

Thanks to everyone for offering advice! Glad to be a part of this forum!

Update: Didn't get an opportunity for an interview. It wasn't an entry level underwriting position. It doesn't hurt my feelings, however. Things are picking up rapidly at work & I'm loving it.

Thanks to everyone for offering advice! Glad to be a part of this forum!

Keep on keeping on. Opportunity will come knocking.

Back