Tough Times

Bwell86

Expert
I've been doing pretty well for the past two years, but I seem to have hit a wall. I had a good sized case about a month ago, but haven't been able to uncover much since then. In the past month I've written a handful of term policies, but I'm seeing bills coming up in the horizon.

I feel like I'm in a slump. I know activity is the solution, but I feel like I've been spinning my tires lately. What do you all do to get out of periods of funk?

Are you a hunter or trapper? A hunter eats off his last kill until it's gone. When he gets hungry, he has to go out and kill something again. Reactive.

A trapper has traps in place that are always working to trap his next meal. He has to manage the traps, but the traps are working in one place while he's setting traps in another place. Proactive.

My point is do you have a workable process that you're following? A complete system will identify prospects (referrals, personal observation, etc), help you make contact and ask for the appointment, find out what they want, present your solution, close the case, and get introduced to people they know (referrals).

2-3 years in a lot if agents hit a wall because they have burned through their friends, family, contacts, and acquaintances. You have to figure out how to change this.

I've been doing pretty well for the past two years, but I seem to have hit a wall. I had a good sized case about a month ago, but haven't been able to uncover much since then. In the past month I've written a handful of term policies, but I'm seeing bills coming up in the horizon.

I feel like I'm in a slump. I know activity is the solution, but I feel like I've been spinning my tires lately. What do you all do to get out of periods of funk?

Are you doing anything differently than you were before...if you are, it must not be working. Sometimes we make things more complicated than need to be. Maybe it's time to "get back to the basics".

Are you a hunter or trapper? A hunter eats off his last kill until it's gone. When he gets hungry, he has to go out and kill something again. Reactive.

A trapper has traps in place that are always working to trap his next meal. He has to manage the traps, but the traps are working in one place while he's setting traps in another place. Proactive.

My point is do you have a workable process that you're following? A complete system will identify prospects (referrals, personal observation, etc), help you make contact and ask for the appointment, find out what they want, present your solution, close the case, and get introduced to people they know (referrals).

Larry,

That is a GREAT way to put it.. I hear from lots of agents who brag to me that they've had a big kill.. huge case, IUL, etc. and yet they're calling me to get started in Med Supps because of the consistency in between the big kills. I liken it to hunting elephants vs... setting traps like you'd said here. Very good analogy - think I'll start adopting it!

Chris

I think we all go through slumps. Newbie slumps are worse for a couple reasons. Less reserves, less experience in them and smaller book are a few.

However, you can fight out of it. You have no choice.

Something that helps me is calling warm friendly leads, clients. Service calls almost always lead to quotes, that lead to sales. These are people that want to hear from you. Their needs change, they have adult kids, parents, siblings, Co workers etc. Someone is calling them.

Back